Alterations to Garden Radial

sod it, I might as well keep going now I'm on a roll:
Part P is red tape in my opinion. One example: as people are no longer allowed to open their fuse boxes, they can't do things properly, so they make do. So, I want to put a 3kw immersion heater in, oh, I can't run a new circuit because I might be put in prison. I know, I'll get a 50p junction box, cut into the ring main and wire it that way. Quick. Perfect. Job done. No hefty electricians fees. Overloaded ring main. Catch my drift?
Another example: grandpa, retired electrical engineer, is no longer allowed to install a plug socket in his kitchen for his new dishwasher he just bought. So he digs out an old extention lead from the garage and runs that behind the units instead, does the job. Until the wired plug gives in, melts and causes a fire.

Sponsored Links
Or, someone notifies BCO, does their electrical work, and as part of the inspection and test by the BCO a dangerous fault is discovered which would have killed someone as soon as the installation was energised.

The fault is put right and the installation is now safe.

Nobody dies.

Life isn't that simple. You can't just wrap everyone in bubble wrap to prevent anyone from ever getting harmed. It's called free will. Maybe people should be made to notify the health authority every time they cook some chicken, so they can come out and check it's cooked properly. It could save millions a year from food poisoning :)

I think Ban-all-sheds needs a shed, then he can wire it up and see where I'm coming from :)
Hope this isn't too complicated a theory, but I was under the impression that if a cable is running through insulation, if it is operating at near full load it is much more likely to get warm, increasing the resistivity of the cable and causing a voltage drop.
Go in the kitchen, wrap a duvet around your kettle cord and tell me how you get on lol
No it isn't too complicated a theory.

It's just complete b******s because the figures for volt-drop are all based on the cable being at maximum operating temperature.

But then you knew that, didn't you, so why are you taking the p***?

Oh, and the armoured cable is 2.0mm not 2.5mm. I'm not just being dense. It was a homebase invention.
Really? BS 5467 or 6346 compliant, was it?

BASEC approved?

Where did you get the data for that cable size to use in your design calculations?

Can't imagine .5mm will ever make any difference though.
I don't suppose you can.

As I say, it had a picture of a plug socket and a light on roll's packaging, so I'm guessing it can be used for 13amp or 3 amp applications.
Ah - I see - you don't do design calculations, you just guess.

Part P is red tape in my opinion.
It should be noted that you don't actually know much about it.

One example: as people are no longer allowed to open their fuse boxes, they can't do things properly, so they make do.
You are right - there is a problem with people who can't do things properly.

So, I want to put a 3kw immersion heater in, oh, I can't run a new circuit because I might be put in prison. I know, I'll get a 50p junction box, cut into the ring main and wire it that way. Quick. Perfect. Job done. No hefty electricians fees. Overloaded ring main. Catch my drift?
Perfect?

How about dangerous and illegal?

Another example: grandpa, retired electrical engineer, is no longer allowed to install a plug socket in his kitchen for his new dishwasher he just bought. So he digs out an old extention lead from the garage and runs that behind the units instead, does the job. Until the wired plug gives in, melts and causes a fire.
Why should the plug do that?

Life isn't that simple. You can't just wrap everyone in bubble wrap to prevent anyone from ever getting harmed. It's called free will.
I'm inclined to agree.

But the price of that free will is the duty to act responsibly, and to become knowledgeable and skilled, and to do things properly.

Something which you don't seem to grasp.

Sponsored Links
It's just complete b******s because the figures for volt-drop are all based on the cable being at maximum operating temperature.

Something which you don't seem to grasp.
And we are back to the BAS we all know.

Ah - you're back.

I am still awaiting with interest your explanation of how running a cable through insulation affects voltage drop.

Ah - you're back.

I am still awaiting with interest your explanation of how running a cable through insulation affects voltage drop.
It's already been explained to you.

Some people get their electrical understanding from tables.

Some get it from the understanding of the basic principals which are then used to create these tables for others.

There is no need for your agressive approach on here.

Ah - you're back.

It's already been explained to you.
Has it?

Where?

Some people get their electrical understanding from tables.

Some get it from the understanding of the basic principals which are then used to create these tables for others.
OK.

Then please explain to us the basic principles behind allowing for increased voltage drop in cables run in insulation, because I'm very interested to hear about them, and so is TTC.

I'm always willing to learn.
I await your explanation of how running a cable through insulation affects voltage drop with great interest.

ban-all-sheds said:
please explain to us the basic principles behind allowing for increased voltage drop in cables run in insulation, because I'm very interested to hear about them, and so is TTC.

So, you are given the correct answer, but as you wanted to prove the OP wrong you now rephrase the question so that it looks as though you've not been answered.

I think I should warn Peter Mandleson of a potential competitor for his job. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back