Alternative to Farrow and Ball

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're in the process of buying a new house that we hope to exchange on next week. It needs fully redecorating and my wife is inisting that we get professionals in rather than do it ourselves as we now have a 9 month old son.

The current house is painted in a mixture of Farrow and Ball paint and B&Q Craig and Rose 1829.

The plan with the new house (which is a fair bit larger) is to paint all the ceilings and woodwork the same colour. However, we want Farrow and ball colours without the excessive cost and something that will be reasonably hard wearing.

One of the decorators has suggested flat matt emulsion and oil based eggshell for the woodwork.

Can anyone suggest appropriate brands that can supply both these types of paint and can colour match?

Sponsored Links
Most trade paints will have the F&B colours scanned and can mix up a copy for you. The usual shops will be decent enough quality paint too. If you're worried about how close they actually get to the colour, consider test samples first, or having them actually scan a sample of the colour itself before mixing. With respect to F&B, I find it to be very loose, and nowhere near as good as the price you pay for it. Several of the trade paints are better at covering.

Thanks for the reply.

We're sourcing the paint ourselves so suggestions of specific brands that can supply oil based rather than acrylic eggshell for the woodwork as well as the matt emulsion would be appreciated.

Personally, i've found Farrow and Ball paint to be crap in terms of coverage and wear from a DIY decorator's perspective. But my wife likes the colours and the texture and she's the one with an eye for such things.

Sponsored Links
My decorating shop will mix it up in a leyland base and I'm happy with the results. I think last time was about £25 for 10litres and I was happy with the results. I think the shade will be slightly off though.

just my 2 cents.

Thanks for to all that responded to this.

Looks like i'm going the johnstones flat matt route :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back