Alternative to HippoBag?

Our local tip now charges for diy waste even though government advice states that diy (not trade) waste should be free

Do you have a link / reference for that?

My council changed their policy in autumn 2014 so that householders have to pay the same rates as traders for concrete, brick, rubble, DIY waste, and so on. Roughly 17p/kilo but in bands; 1-120kg = £21, 121-160kg=£26, etc.

The staff said that there was no change, just that it was being enforced now. However there used to be a large metal container for rubble, etc and that had disappeared. I am certain about this as I had noted the large metal container when I was there in the summer of that year.

In the summer I had just come across the concrete footings of a wall and planned to get rid of those footings in that container. But some sort of building must have not just stood there but been demolished in situ. By the time I had dug the footings out and dug over / sieved the area they encompassed I had c. a cubic yard of concrete rubble and a cubic yard of broken bricks and several months had gone by.

Sponsored Links
Luckily it's plasterboard this time. Yeah lath walls you clear up with a shovel!
Plasterboard (gypsum) is now classed as "toxic waste" and attracts a surcharge as it has to be disposed of in a special (controlled) landfill site. Itt must be segregated from other buiding wastes if you are to avoid a charge for sorting, so if you hire a skip, segregate the studff as far as possible

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back