Alternatives to PVC trunking

I'm not disputing any of what you say above, but in a safe zone you could have a blanking plate with a live connector block behind it, but not a continious piece of cable?
Crazy isn't it?
Well, just for once I don't think the regs are crazy here, for reasons I explained.

By demanding that the cable is terminated at the accessory which creates the safe zone for it (even if only in a connector block in which it is joined to further cable), one makes it very probable that if the accessory is removed, either another accessory is put in its place or the cable is removed - so no cable is left in a place which is no longer a safe zone. If there is a continuous piece of cable behind the plate (or any other accessory), the plate/accessory could simply be removed, leaving the cable not in a safe zone. Well, that's what I assume is the thinking behind the reg.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Lots of issues to consider. Why do you think that, on balance, I previously decided to leave it as it was, clipped direct?
Probably because you are possessed of a lot of common sense! As has been said, the reg which is being thrown at you is incredibly vague, and I presume/suspect the reality is that the probability of the cable being subjected to an impact which would damage it is extremely low. If one had the energy and time, I therefore think one could probably successfully argue the point with the inspector, and find a good few 'witnesses for the defence' to support your case. However, life is too short, so .......

Kind Regards, John

... so I thought, yes, cover it with something, why not?

Although, to be fair, if no one gets injured, no one will force me to anything one way or the other.

But if someone does get injured, it would be good for me to have followed qualified advice.

Now I remember it, the argument was 'this could be used as a bedroom'. There speaks someone who has never tried. In any case, that argument could be applied to a garden shed, but would constitute a change of use, planning permission etc etc.

Sponsored Links
... so I thought, yes, cover it with something, why not? ... Although, to be fair, if no one gets injured, no one will force me to anything one way or the other. ... But if someone does get injured, it would be good for me to have followed qualified advice.
Quite so. Ironically, it's only in the incredibly unlikely event of such an unfortunate incident that you would get to 'argue your case in court' - but, as I've just said, I think that (with appropriate 'expert support') you would probably win'!

However, in the real pragmatic world, and frustrating though it may be, the only sensible course is probably to do whatever the inspector says (make sure you get it in writing!) would be fully acceptable to him/her.

Kind Regards, John

There is such a thing as LSF ducting and trunking.

Thanks for that, but I had looked online (not yet tried WF though), and couldn't find it! Was that a genuine non-PVC LSOH or an LSF, I wonder. If you know a stockist, please let me know for future reference. You never know.

In any case, the problem is now solved. The electrician came back to me and said what I intended with the batten and board covering was fine and that 'As long as is safe and protected it is acceptable, happy for cables to be protected by any material that will achieve this.'

So case closed, but what an interesting case it is!

In any case, the problem is now solved. The electrician came back to me and said what I intended with the batten and board covering was fine and that 'As long as is safe and protected it is acceptable, happy for cables to be protected by any material that will achieve this.' ... So case closed, but what an interesting case it is!
Fair enough - but if I were you, I would certainly make sure there are at least some very conspicuous 'warning signs/labels', otherwise the next inspector on the scene might try to play the 'concealed cables' card! (well, they might try that even with the Warnings - but what else can you do?!).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back