Alternatives to stepped cavity tray?

I don't think I need to pay my mortgage every month.

From what I know extensions have been built for years with no problems without cavity trays and had no damp problems with water seeing through the bricks into the cavity. Or am I wrong?

Sponsored Links
To be honest, it sounds like you've already made your mind up that you don't need them and you just want everyone to agree with you.
End of the day it's your problem, you've had your free advice with a few options and suggestions, so take it or leave it. No one on here is going to be upset if you have water penetration later.

Or am I wrong?
Very.
Whilst it is not all that common, it does occur, usually without consequence or unknown to those dwelling within. It is only when the passage of water is interrupted by joist ends, steel beams or lintels that people say "wish I'd fitted a cavity tray there..."

Cavity trays are not that new. There's a company not far from me that's been making them since the 1920's. It's probably the last 30 years or so when they have become more popular instead of using 18inch Hyload.
Whether you could dampness can depend on getting a lot of driving rain or live in a sheltered position.

Sponsored Links
From what I know extensions have been built for years with no problems without cavity trays
There is a big difference between the way we used to use and heat our homes. A damp wall with no cavity insulation with lots of airflow will dry very quick. The problem is when people started to try and lower energy consumption and use insulation, improve airtightness and heat their whole house.

To be honest, it sounds like you've already made your mind up that you don't need them and you just want everyone to agree with you.
End of the day it's your problem, you've had your free advice with a few options and suggestions, so take it or leave it. No one on here is going to be upset if you have water penetration later.
No I haven't. I've just seen how much work is involved and saw the possibility to structural damage to the house that can be done and wanted to know if it really was necessary. I look at my neighbours and even extensions on my house without trays and cannot see any sign of weep holes.

If other techniques likes damp proofing the walls, etc is not a fully working solution and this really is a problem I'll get it done.

thanks.

The only options I can think of were mentioned at the beginning, woody said clad it, and in fact it was you mentioned pebble dash (although any render would do) . Other than that you're taking a risk (look for threads about damp problems on here to see it doesn't always pay off).
The objection wasn't that you were asking, it was the fact that you seemed to be doubting the advice.
Good luck with your build though and I hope it goes well(y)

It's the proper way to do it and using preformed trays it's no biggie, just cut out the masonry and fit in sections.
Don't think you have any choice as BC are watching over you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back