Always wanted to drive a motorbike

Another frightening admission......cruising slowly down a street in Angouleme, admiring my cool poise in a shop window .....straight into the back of a Fiat Panda :p
John :D

Sponsored Links
Hi Burner, no, it is the XS850 H triple jobby.

I had the XS750 back in the early 80s and just loved it so when an opportunity arose to own it's big brother I leapt at it.

Trouble is I'm 75 now and not as strong as I was in my 40s so I've dropped the yam a few times, always at a standstill but always with gravel or loose footing. Get the yam a few degrees off vertical on slippery underfoot and down she goes.

The Honda has a lower c of g and a much narrower engine and just isn't a problem at all.

Regards

Chris
Had an XS750 when they first came out. September '77. I'm 6ft, and was quite strong, but I dropped it a couple of times when stopped on gravel. I made some engine protector bars after the first time. It was so new, nobody was making bars. Steel pipe on the hydraulic bender at work. :)
Must admit I haven't ridden for well over ten years now.

The 850 brought back all of the thrill of the Early 80s but dropping it is always embarrassing.

Came out of a shop got on the bike, my daughter got on the back a I lost balance a bit so put my right foot down to sort it and my jeans got caught on the peg so over we went in slow motion.

Even more embarrassing was that we were on a bit of a camber and I couldn't get it back on its feet so my daughter helped and up she came.

Double red face :oops:

That was the other thing about them, they were about a quarter of a tonne, so picking it up after it went over made you look even more of a wotsit. :)
Nice bike.

Sponsored Links
Hey Chris
You have some of the best biking roads in Britain.....Loch Lomond to Inveraray via Rest and be thankful, then down the Mull to Tarbert - as near to heaven as it gets! Somewhere near you?
John :)

Just make sure that you get all the proper safety gear. It is likely that you will at some point come of your bike, and also likely it won't be your fault, but invesiting in protective clothing will save your life :D Good luck!

Yes, that's what I've been looking at lately, but they are quite expensive. They much cheaper online, as always, but how reliable are they? I've looked at this which is not cheap either but if you guys can recommend a reliable brand for motorcycle clothing and protective equipment? sorry, I'm rerally new and doing my reaserch
http://www.amazon.co.uk/LS2-MOTORCY...1427967498&sr=1-12&keywords=motorcycle+helmet

Only personally speaking here, but there's no way I'd pay such a small amount for a crash helmet.....for me it's a Shoei or an Arai.
You really must try the lid on before you buy......you may find its fit poor around the brow, ears or neck. For me, the Shoei is quieter.
All the 'good brands' have a range of helmets that start basic but then rocket into the big money.
Clothing wise, again the sky is the limit.....but get good lightweight gloves from Alpinestars, Frank Thomas do good budget stuff.
For continental use, I wear reinforced Draggin jeans and my walking boots, with a textile waterproof jacket.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Back