Am I aloud to do this....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Fitting some up / down lighters into my bedroom. Problem is they are outside ones :)

The wiring from the lamp is just a connector block with earth, live and netueral.

I have:

source - live, netueral, earth
switch - switched live, earth, live

Just as I test ive taken the flex of the lamp pendent, added a t&e cable from the live and netueral of the lamp flex and the earth to the earth pin. Then joined the wires to the correct end in the lamp. So it looks like this...

IMG00176-20111125-1951.jpg

Is this ok? or am I asking for trouble? The light rose will have the lid on and boxed in plasterboard.

Ant

Sponsored Links
The fact the lights are 'outside' ones changes nothing - they are wired in exactly the same way as any other light.
You also appear to have the same wiring as 99% of other houses - a cable with power and one to the switch.

The light rose will have the lid on and boxed in plasterboard.
Why have you got a rose if fitting these downlighters?
If you intend to conceal the rose with plasterboard, totally unacceptable.

Not clear what the picture is showing - a cable joined with choc terminals and some sort of connection box on the wall?
A shoddy lashup either way.

imagine a 500w flood on the bedroom wall with a motion sensor. you turn over in the night to get more comfortable and BOOM. "is it morning dear?.

Sponsored Links
hi

the choc is the connectors from the lamp wires.

Ive used the ceiling rose because the outside lamp has no facility for it to hold a loop source and a switch live.

If I was going to use this idea, the ceiliing rose isnt going to boxed into a wall etc but into a part of the room to make it look the same as the other side.

its not shoody is a mock up before everything is permently screwed, boxed up, plastered etc.

The light fitting has 3 terminals.
You require 4 terminals.
Just add an extra terminal into the light fitting, and get rid of the ceiling rose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back