Am i being made a fool of...? (moved post)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Theoretical question.

Builder does some small roofing work for you. U ask for before and after photos as u can't be there... and he only noticed work needed doing when he was up there.

Work is then done, but when images come through the "before" image looks a little odd (obviously not your roof).

Using super-sleuth skills (google image search) you discover the before is actually from a stock library (and has the remains of a watermark in it!!!) and is dated 2008.

U question the builder about the "before" image but he swears blind the image is his and taken of your roof.

What do you do?

Sponsored Links
Why do you want photos, dont you trust him, why did you get him to do the work in the first place if you doubt him ??

First time ive used them. Was just a simple job at first. Wanted photos as doing a complete house renovation and are documenting all improvements.

I know the before picture is false. Where do I stand now?

Why did you say it was a theoretical question?
I'd just ask him why he'd used an interweb photo...

Sponsored Links
Ok it's not theoretical. Its real.

I've asked why he used and he said its his photo. He's lying.

what your really asking is............did the work need doing??

I'm assuming you mean he is wanting to charge extra for the work he found while doing the roof without consulting you it needed doing?

Is it possible that the work did need doing, was as bad as the photo he dug up, but that he belatedly realised that he'd not taken a pic of the before?

I think that, as suggested, just put the evidence of the site that contains the original photo in front of him and say you're concerned that this will make it difficult to trust his word - then see what he says?

Back to the core point, though, do you believe you've been charged for work that he hasn't done? If so, start by stating that and then follow up with "and I'm finding it hard to have faith in what you're telling me because this picture is clearly from ..."

Has he done the work he was contracted to do?

Was his price the same as he quoted?

Have you tried Google Earth/Treet View/Bing Maps to see how well they show the before? They may just be detailed enough.

I always take before and after photos for protection after an experience with a devious customer.

Did a roof repair(Rosemary tiles around a chimney) 30 miles from home whilst doing a larger job in the area. The repair was fine for 2 months and then I had a phone call from the customer complaining that the roof was now leaking more than it was before the repair even though it hadn't leaked for the previous 2 months.

When I got up on the roof there were about 20 broken tiles in the same place as before and a brand new aerial on the chimney, the customer refused to admit this aerial was new and had been erected after the repair.

Hence, I now take photos every time.

Thanks for all the advice.

We worked it out. I showed him the photos and he admitted his "colleague" had done the work and forgotten to do photos and belatedly searched for alternates. Both before and after photos were in fact false.

He went back up later that day to retake the after shots which I am now satisfied with. However I still have no idea If the work needed doing. Safe to say I won't be using them again.

Thanks again.

Always first class on here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back