Am I being ripped off?

1/ As a fitter if you damage a pipe you fix it in your own time.

2/ Pipes in concrete/render should be wrapped as cement attacks copper.

BUT plaster doesn't harm pipes.

Whether it's worth doing the work retrospectively is another matter.

If it were my house I wouldn't have that plumber back anyway, I wouldn't pay his bill, when he sues I would put in a counter claim and get estimates to puyt right the damage he did. The reason I would take this strong stance is because he tried to bully you at the beginning (claiming you had to pay his and two layabouts wages while he waited for you to decide to spend a fortune because one of his layabouts put a cold chisel through your pipe). You don't want a bully in your house.

He won't take you to court if you stand up to him. He hasn't a leg to stand on in court.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again, the work is now finished, don't laugh but one of the radiators that has been installed (a long low one which is on feet rather than attached to the wall) stands 12 cm away from the wall. The radiator itself is 15cm wide, so you can imagine it takes up a lot of space. The fitter insists that it needs to be that far away from the wall to function efficiently, and as such won't move it. Fair enough if it is true, but seems surprising to me. Any views?

The fitter insists that it needs to be that far away from the wall to function efficiently
Can't see why being closer to the wall would make any significant difference. I would have thought that a gap of 50mm would be ample to allow circulation of air. And would it matter if output were reduced by even as much as 5% say? The radiator is still 100% efficient, but I suppose you might increase heat losses to wall if the radiator was much closer, which could matter if wall was external and poorly insulated.

Perhaps one might suggest reading the instructions or consulting the manufacturer..............................?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back