Am I doing this right? (Drainage channel install)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
PXL_20240513_144944947.jpg

Hi all,

So, my garage (left of the picture) has an issue with water soaking through the rear wall and looking on the floor inside after heavy rain.

The garage is laid on a concrete pad, which has a DPM underneath. The side and rear walls are only 6 courses high (single wall, not cavity), and then are timber from the 6th course and up.

To the right of the photo, is my shed, sitting on a concrete base, unfortunately at a significantly higher level than the garage pad.

The soil type is clay.

Untill today, there was no bap between the two, and too soilclay.was just healed against the back of the garage wall, causing the water to soak through that wall when it rained.

I have dug out the gap between the two areas and then dug a narrow trench between the two so.

I've bought some lengths of Clarke channel drain and a boss adapter to join it into that 100mm/110mm drainage pipe (which serves the house guttering) you can see in the photos.

I am unsure about a few things though:

- Do I need a retaining wall for the shed base, or can I install my drain channel on top of the garage base and then heal a course concrete mix, sloping upwards to meet the level of the shed base? I realise that my concrete will therefore perform the function of a retaining wall and it is for that reason that I've dug out the channel which is filled with water in the photo (from my hosing down of the area, not rainwater). I was intending to fill the channel with coarse gravel, cover with membrane and the go concrete upwards from there.

- In order for the channel to 'fall' into the existing drain pipe (which leads to a soakaway, by the way, not the public sewer), I'll need to set the channel on a few inches of concrete that'll bring the top of the channel with 2.5 courses of the top of the wall. I'm therefore worried about splashes causing the wood to rot. Any thoughts about that? On the other hand, rising the level like this does have the advantage of lessening the steepness of the slope to the shed base.

Really gratefully for any thoughts or hints.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back