amatuer garden electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
someone i know just had some decking fitted,decking included socket circuit and lighting on it. the chippie did the wiring.....no certs, nothing.

40A mcb, swa 4mm running under rose bush for 40 metres to a enclosure, dp rcd main switch, 16A mcb for sockets(ring circuit?), 6A lights. lighting/socket circuits on decking ruin in twin and earth :rolleyes: .

mate says ''switch the lights on and it trips rcd, the sockets work though.....''

checks lighting circuit out, all IR fine, R1R2 fine, voltage holds on circuit until bulbs are screwed in and then it trips..... bulbs, light fittings suitable for setup.

head scratching time, i says ''are you sure sockets work'' to which i get ''yes ive plugged in one of those socket testers''. ''ah but have you tried an actual appliance?''..........reply '' er no''. plugged in a lawnmower and that tripped the rcd.

and the fault was............................

Sponsored Links
I was going to say that :LOL:

In that case then, I'm going to have to go for supply neutral connected to load side of RCD and load connected to supply. :D

not neutral earth reversal no, lighting circuit fine, presume the socket circuit was ( i didnt need to test it as the penny dropped). nothing to do with the lighting or socket circuits.

Sponsored Links
good enough RF, supply Neutral connected to the Neutral rail and not through the dp rcd.

the whole setup was poor though, i told my mate of all the faults with the setup.

nice to know that part P is working though isnt it! :LOL:

someone i know just had some decking fitted,decking included socket circuit and lighting on it. the chippie did the wiring.....no certs, nothing.
1) Report him to TSO.

2) Report him to the council, in writing, cc'ing the Borough Solicitor, and tell them that if they don't do something you will go to the local press and radio, and your councillor, and your MP, and the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government to invite them to start asking the council why they are allowing people to get away with breaking the law.

3) Go to the police and make a statement - you have evidence that a criminal offence has been committed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back