RCD and Mcbs tripping on new wiring for Shed

I came across a very similar installation a few years ago where the supply was wired to the 6A MCB, causing it to trip every time something heavy was plugged into sockets.

But this case has me intrigued. I like Bernard's idea, other than the RCD in theory shouldn't trip if switch wired across the supply.

Sponsored Links
other than the RCD in theory shouldn't trip if switch wired across the supply.
I am aware of some investigation into false tripping of RCDs when there is a high transient fault L to N current and no apparent earth path to create earth leakage and un-balance.

It stems from an incident where an RCD false tripped and removed lighting which created a serious hazard.

Initial findings seem to suggest the RCDs where the trip soleniod is powered only by energy from the sense coil are less likely to trip than those with amplifiers that are powered from the mains supply to supply to trip soleniod.

I imagine the investigations will be looking at the response of the amplifier to transients in the mains supply caused by the fault current as well as the output from the sense coil.

I think the results will find that in some ( many ) electronic RCDs the supply to the amplifier is not adequately filtered and smoothed.

other than the RCD in theory shouldn't trip if switch wired across the supply.
I am aware of some investigation into false tripping of RCDs when there is a high transient fault L to N current and no apparent earth path to create earth leakage and un-balance.
That doesn't surprise me, particularly with electronically-tripped RCDs. However, in the OP's case, that would still require that both lighting and sockets loads were (by fault or design) drawing enough current to trip the corresponding MCBs (or 'switched L-E faults', such as you have mentioned, being present in both circuits) and, also (I would have thought unlikely) an RCD which operated every time an excessive (but not imbalanced) current flowed through it. ... seemingly pretty (extremely?) unlikely combinations of circumstances.

Common being common, and uncommon being uncommon, I think my money must stay of major wiring errors (probably more than one) being the explanation in the OP's case.

Kind Regards, John

Rather a wild stab in the dark, how about both MCBs being faulty and having a really low trip current ? Plus another fault that trips the RCD.

Sponsored Links
Rather a wild stab in the dark, how about both MCBs being faulty and having a really low trip current ? Plus another fault that trips the RCD.
Well, yes, but that requires multiple simultaneous coincidental faults - and when one starts multiplying very small probabilities together ......! I think I'll stick with:
Common being common, and uncommon being uncommon, I think my money must stay of major wiring errors (probably more than one) being the explanation in the OP's case.

Kind Regards, John

Have now returned from Holiday and can confirm the problem has been resolved by removing the link between the incoming Neutral and load Neutral. No other issues and all is working and tested ok.

I can confirm that prior to this it was only a small amount of current which was tripping Mcbs 60w lightbulb for 6A MCB and 1000w for 16A.

Appreciate all the constructive comments and thoughts.

Comment for Banallsheds - my advice to you is not to make assumptions about people you clearly know SFA about.

Sorry, I don't get it. That explains the RCD tripping, but not the MCBs tripping.

PS - Don't hold your breath waiting for BAS to change his ways.

I know exactly what you have done. ………...
Somewhere in that simple shed CU you have connected the incoming neutral to the neutral on the load side of the board. usually it is because there are two neutral busbars
…………. There is sometimes a link between the two. It is a very common basic error to leave that link in.

Elementary, my dear Watson

Comment for Banallsheds - my advice to you is not to make assumptions about people you clearly know SFA about.
My assumption was that you are not competent to do the work you decided to do.

the problem has been resolved by removing the link between the incoming Neutral and load Neutral.
Nothing which has been posted since has given me reason to revise that assumption.

No other issues and all is working and tested ok.
Will that be testing, as in proper testing, or switching it on and not having something trip?

I know exactly what you have done. ………...Somewhere in that simple shed CU you have connected the incoming neutral to the neutral on the load side of the board. usually it is because there are two neutral busbars …………. There is sometimes a link between the two. It is a very common basic error to leave that link in.
Elementary, my dear Watson
Well, yes - but as I asked in response your your above suggestion at the time, and as Simon has just re-iterated, although that is a common mistake that would have explained the RCD operating, how can you explain the MCBs also operating as a result of that wiring error?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back