amazing rcd test regime

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was at a job today to quote for shed power and when i arrived, i was met with an over zelous owner, but saying that, he had a spread sheet with an rcd testing regime. day, month, time? that he pressed the test button and recorded the fact that the rcd operated. 14.03hrs on 23-03-10 for example. 5 years of it!! I asked him how he remembered to test the rcd and he replied with another spread sheet, including rcd test, removal of both kitchen and and bathroom waste traps and the cleaning thereof. annual cleaning of patio. loft insulation check!!!!. bi annual gutter cleaning. etc

does anybody test their rcd's quarterly? with such organisation?

Not BAS?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
17thman - tell him about emergency light testing practices, show him some with domestic-friendly design, and offer to install some, with keyswitches, and provide a bunch of test sheets.

He'll love it, and you might drum up some work.

he was probably institutionalised from somewhere....like a statutary maintenance job or something. Some of the guys from our Stat. Maint. department are a bit like that. at work they have to do all the weekly, fortnightly, monthly, 3 monthly, 6 monthly...etc checks and find it hard to get out of the habit!

I have a customer that does test her RCD's quarterly, does it on way back from some kind of quarterly medical appointment.

I have had great problems explaining to people that the test button is only to test mechanics.

Did he also have 10 year PIR report with proper test?

Maybe that's because it doesn't. The test button uses a resistor to create a deliberate imbalance between L & N through the sensing coil, thus testing the sensing and unlatching circuits too.

True, it won't tell you the reaction time, but it does more than 'just test the mechanics'.

I test mine now and again...ever since I pressed the test button (to isolate the board) and nothing happened.

TT system, Zs ~ 120 ohms, so I replaced it pronto.

On a related topic, I've got a small farm with 4 off 3ph DB with 100mA RCD, 7 CU & a large no of final ccts straight off the DB's. Every final cct is protected by a 30mA RCD or RCBO. Probably about 30 in total.

Some of the fittings are really not suitable for the environment (unsealed JB in farm shed etc)(*), and I've been here for 7 years.

Never had a nuisance trip. Only trip I can remember is faulty cooker ring.

Why the fuss about nuisance trips ?

(*) I'm getting around to fixing the problems, but if it works & it's protected...

Regards David

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back