AMPS CALCULATION

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing fibre optics in a bedroom ceiling shortly. Will wire the light source and new light cable (for a new light switch) into the light circuit , using a 4 terminal 20 amp junction box. Am I right to assume that if the lightsource is 50 watts and the mains voltage is 250 volts , there will be 200 milliamps used and well below the 6 amp light circuit it will be wired into ? Also using t & earth 1.5mm cable .
Thanks for any help out there.

Barryg

Sponsored Links
Actually it's 240V and 208mA, but the answer to that is still "yes".

Is this your plan for the wiring:confused:

[code:1]

---E---[]--------
LIGHTING \ LIGHTING
\ CIRCUIT
CIRCUIT---N---[]---+----OUT
\ |
IN \+--------------------\
| \
---L---[]---+---- LIGHT
\ | SOURCE
| | /
[]-+-+--------------------/
^ | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| v |
'''''''
' SW '
' '
'''''''

[] JB terminal
+ Wires crossing, NOT joined

[/code:1]

Don't forget to turn off the power first, use earth sleeving where appropriate and with the T&E cable that goes to the switch, use red for the live feed, and put red sleeving or red tape on the black switched conductor.

technically its 230v (european thing)

Barry G sounds interseting, can i ask where you are getting the fibre optics from?

breezer don't know which bit of the world you are from, but if you aint familiar with f.o. , then you must be in outer hebrides...........

Only kidding.

Denmans sell f.o. lighting kits and also ABM in Croydon......
amongst others

Sponsored Links
i was considering something like

Blargedeck.jpg

but its nearly £800, but it does colour change

breezer said:
technically its 230v (european thing)

Whenever I've measured mine it's always been 240 or more.

I thought that the situation was that although the UK has signed up to HD472 (i.e. 230 +10/-6%), the reality was that as our old 240V +/- 6% fitted into that range (apart from the very extremity of the +6%), the supply companies haven't reduced their nominal voltage from 240 to 230 because of the 8% drop in revenue that would ensue.

:?:

Thanks to everyone for all the replies.

WIRING FIBRE OPTIC LIGHT SOURCE AND NEW SWITCH INTO LIGHT CIRCUIT IN LOFT USING 1.5m t&e and 20amp junction box.

LIN = LIGHT IN
LOUT = LIGHT OUT
LS = LIGHT SOURCE
SW = SWITCH

Cable and junction box wiring (i think this right , have right info somewhere)
Neutral from LS , LIN & LOUT into 1 terminal
Live from LIN , LOUT & SW into 1 terminal
Live from LS and neutral (black wire becomes switched live) from SW into 1 terminal
Earth from LIN, LOUT, LS and SW into 1 terminal

Will replace single gang light switch in bedroom with double gang (1 switch for current light in ceiling , 1 switch for new fibre optic lights)

Bought fibre optic kits from a company called starceilings they are here

If you are replacing switch, you will need to run another conductor in for the second switch, but I guess you have twigged this already........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back