Amtico flooring- need to level up 3 areas 60m2 total :o/

Wickes do a liquid dpm..

£37 quid for 25ltr

Damp Proof Membrane Liquid 25L
Product Code: 241218

A rubberised, bitumen based emulsion that provides a flexible barrier to damp on walls and floors
Drying Time: 6 hrs in good drying conditions. Allow to dry for 16 hrs, or overnight where possible
Type: Damp Proof Membrane
Colour: Black
Pack Quantity: Single
Coverage: 1-2m2 per litre
Capacity: 25L
Usage: Interior

i have been told that this is very good stuff and a very good price. But it is wickes!! i do not know if they can be relied upon to give a long lasting dpm lol
and the price is less than half the price of other brands.. mmmmm any thoughts on this please

Sponsored Links
Never heard of it Jay. The ones I use are professional screeds and dpm's because I want the floors to last and not fail.
You need to find out wh makes it and get a spec sheet on it.
Remember it has to be a epoxy dpm on the old floors with no dpm under.

that dpm you would use under a concrete floor. So for example where you have taken out a wall and there is a void between the two floors maybe 6" plus deep. Also you may use it when tanking a area.

You can not use a smoothing compound over the top.

Myself, Daz and other floorlayers can only advise on materials we are confident will do the job 100% and are time proven to do so....
And normally this is reflected in the cost of said materials lol :rolleyes:
Im not familiar with the wickes one or the other one you have mentioned, however the ardex and f Balls are well renowned within the flooring trade.
End of the day, you have all the information you need to make an informed decision, and really it has to be upto you to decide which way you want to go about the job...
You have saved a small fortune on getting the materials yourself, nice one!
And are willing to do some, if not all the prep yourself...
However, what would you feel having saved say, £100-£200 going for cheaper alternatives, when down the line that product fails and you are left having to re-do it all over again....
I have a nice little saying...
"The bitterness of poor quality remains
long after the sweetness of low price has passed"

Sponsored Links
hi guys
i hear you all, just been looking over the data for the wickes stuff, it is a laybond made by Bostik.. whom also make the cempolay cementone cement i shall be getting, so it is compatible.

Wickes product is Laybond Aquaprufe made by Bostik
Cempolay self level is also made by bostik
i have found data sheets.. and i have emailed the team at Bostik, and await a reply in the week via email
i shall let you know what i find out.

i understand that you can not scrimp on going cheap.. but i am happy to find out more before going out n buyin some fancy Fball that costs x4 the price!

"The bitterness of poor quality remains
long after the sweetness of low price has passed"

I hear you CoolEvilAngel :cool:

But.. i am scottish! so i am always bitter lol and if i can save a wae penny.. no matter how bitter a low price might taste..after it has passed! even i will find some good out of a bad product knowing i can spend the remainder of my saving on my wae lassie.
or down the pub ;)

i have found 3 guys that are doing me a price for the screedin job, and i shall let you know what they come back with, and yes I shall be doing a lot of the prep work myself,, liquid dpm'ing it.. filling the holes n divits and high points.. and so on.

i am reading, and listening and thinking about all you say or recommend in your replys back to on here! I do appreciate it all and please do not ignore me just yet ok.

I am out of my comfort zone re the products to use and soon i am sure we can come up with the perfect solution for my needs.

Hi MattyS

"You can not use a smoothing compound over the top."

i see what you are saying, but this is a product sold for... a liquid dpm for a self level cement floor screed?
so the product description says

Daz

"Remember it has to be a epoxy dpm on the old floors with no dpm under"
why an epoxy? i only ask, as no one has told me this until now ( i think ) but i might have missed that little nugget of info before

Hi MattyS

"You can not use a smoothing compound over the top."

i see what you are saying, but this is a product sold for... a liquid dpm for a self level cement floor screed?
so the product description says

Daz

"Remember it has to be a epoxy dpm on the old floors with no dpm under"
why an epoxy? i only ask, as no one has told me this until now ( i think ) but i might have missed that little nugget of info before

Smoothing compound at what compression strength? basically a compound that is not suitable for any thing other than a floating floor like sheet domestic vinyl. Also i dont know of any compounds that the manufacturer will warranty over it.
It can be used under a course flooring screed over 75mm tho with fibres added. This will still need a smoothing compound over the top tho and will require around 100 days drying time. You could use a Anhydrate over it as this is classed as self smoothing screed but again it needs to be applied at around 40mm +. It has same drying time as normal concrete and believe it or not we dont have any approved compounds in the u.k that can go over it. You can import but in the U.K they are not tried and tested. You also have the issue that if you was to have a leak then the anhydrate subfloor will break down unlike concrete based screed.

To answer the question you have for Daz, there is no 1 part systems out there that the manufactorier will warranty over a subfloor with rising damp. There is the odd few that say you can with epoxy.

aaaahgggh.

i have just read the small print, well the Q&A's for the liquid dpm wickes product, it never goes hard and it remains tacky (as it were)

so you are all correct.. and the dpm it is not suitable for the job i want

damn damn damn lol

ok sooooo my next question is this, what else can i use lol that is as cheap as chips, n i can get 30 ltrs of the slop dpm and it dries in 60 seconds and it also makes me better looking, and more attractive to the opposite sex and helps me pick the winning lotto numbers this tuesday, and wednesday and sat... ;) and something that helps me hold in me belly down the gym, without thinking about it lol

ok so it is an epoxy i need, a hard resin type dpm
i will need to look, or..

OR, i go with the F.ball or Ardex stuff or something of that type
that goes hard, is a dpm and also does all the things i am wishing it might do, like help me pick the right lotto numbers lol to help pay for the stuff

ok so it is an epoxy i need, a hard resin type dpm
i will need to look, or..

OR, i go with the F.ball or Ardex stuff or something of that type
that goes hard, is a dpm and also does all the things i am wishing it might do, like help me pick the right lotto numbers lol to help pay for the stuff

Us 'trade' professionals all use Fball, Ardex, Mapei products. IF there was a cheaper product out there that can do the job then WE (the trade professionals ) would be using it.

The End !

If you do this right it will last over 30 years.
So you save dosh as when you have had 4 carpets because of whiskey and curry stains after ya wild parties. You only need to wipe the amtico.

ok ok i hear you, i will look in the mirror in a second, and slap myself just for you guys ok.

and look at the 3 options you said just now fball ardex n mapie ( which i ain't heard off till now )

and then you can smile, knowing i will also get a punch.. and not in a good place :eek: from my other half, when she finds i have spent 200 on a dpm.

so my pain will be your joy for being stupid and asking the wrong questions

i shall let you know what i find out from bostik asap

and i shall now go n shmoogle the info and prices for the 3 types you recomend.

you are the professionals, and this is why i am here.

thanks again

you are all fab n i luv ya

just wondering guys

does blood wipe off Amtico ok???? lol i might as well call the ambulance now :cry:

in case i have confused you, Mapei dont warranty there epoxy products over subfloors with rising damp. Only residual building moisture. I just through another name in that 'we' use for epoxy products.

O and mapei are the largest manufacturer in the world for DPM, Adhesives, smoothing compounds.

Lol ya nutter.

If you had this job done by a pro, dpm screed, amtico an fitting you would be looking approx £100 m2

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back