An electric wall heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In a room which is approximately 5 metres by 3.5 metres, I currently use a mobile electric heater which has been struggling over recent times.
I would like to fit a new wall mounted electric heater. The location of this could be quite close to the existing Consumer Unit and I have a spare way for a potentially new 32 amp MCB. The CU is RCD protected.

I think I can go as high as 3KW on a dedicated 32amp MCB?

I am after a heater that is efficient and can cover this area please. I assume it comes with a thermostat and ability to sense when it has reached temperature.

I would welcome your thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
3 kW = 13 amp, in the main would not need a heater that large, the problem with a fan heater is as soon as it switches off you hear it has gone off, and you feel cold, so turn it up a tad, so end up with over heated room.

The oil filled radiator has a damping effect, although switching on/off, the heat is continuous, so your not tempted to turn it up.

Our 22 x 14 foot room will keep warm with a 800 watt oil filled radiator, only used for emergency, if central heating fails, but depends on how well insulated the room is, at moment heating has not been on long, three things are measuring temperature of living room, they show 12, 13 and 15. The hall has two so shows 14 and 16 and heating at moment set to go to 16.5 in the hall.

The point is temperature within the room can vary, so being close to heat source helps save money.

the problem with a fan heater is as soon as it switches off you hear it has gone off, and you feel cold, so turn it up a tad, so end up with over heated room.
i help out an elderly couple and they do exactly this , in fact the often have 2 in the room (this was when they had storage heaters) I would guess the temp was getting on for 25+C - only because they have now changed to the fischer system (i had nothing to do with change, and only found out when it was being installed , otherwise i would have discussed with them !!!! , ) and now they often have the stat in the room set to 25-27 and watch the light on the radiator receiver to make sure its red ON !!!! despite a lot of explaining
Luckily they can afford the huge electric bills they now have

Sponsored Links
All electric heaters are 100% efficient.
Are some more efficient than others then?

I am thinking that the oil filled heaters would be a consideration here. As would heaters that come with and without thermostats.

I am after a reccomendation for a wall hung heater please.

Last edited:
I gather your existing heater is not powerful enough.

What power is it?

I'd go for an oil-filled at each end of the room, which will maintain a comfortable environment, adding up to more power than your existing one.

They usually have three heat settings so you can turn them down once the room heats up, and rely on their thermostats.

I'd go for an oil-filled at each end of the room, which will maintain a comfortable environment, adding up to more power than your existing one.
Is there a brand/model that you recommend? May be 1.5kw for each unit?

No, as I said ALL electric heaters are 100% efficient.

All the electric energy is converted to heat energy. None is lost up a flue.
Sorry to persist but surely an electric heater with a thermostat is more efficient than its counterpart? Similarly, is the same not true for oil filled heaters?

Sorry to persist but surely an electric heater with a thermostat is more efficient than its counterpart? Similarly, is the same not true for oil filled heaters?
HOW MANY MORE TIMES? ALL ELECTRIC HEATERS ARE 100% EFFICIENT.

A thermostat simply turns it on and off, all the electrical energy is still converted to heat.

Oil filled heaters simply store some of the 100% efficient energy to use later leaving you cold while it is doing so. Called hysteresis.

You seem to be confusing efficiency with energy useage.
As Winston has said, electric heaters are 100% efficient - your 1.5kW heater will take 1500W of power from the mains and convert it to 1500W of heat energy, to warm up the room.

When we are talking about energy usage, a heater with a thermostat will use less energy than one without, as it will switch off when it reaches the set temperature.

...then we come to the fallibility and subjectivity of the human experience.
Heat can arrive to us by convection, conduction and IR radiation.
Different types of heater use different mixtures of these methods, i.e. 1kW wet radiator may provide 300W as IR and the rest as convection.
Because of these differences, some of us might feel a room warms up quicker with a certain type of radiator, i.e. with a fan heater.

....although again, as Winston has said. If you put 1.5kW of energy into your office, your room will warm up by the same amount (minus losses), no matter which electric heater you use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back