An Idea of costs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can some one give me a guide price for fitting a gas central heating system to a 3 bed terraced house in Porstsmouth.
I'm looking at buying an old house that has no central heating and want an idea of how much it might cost.
Also if anyone can recomend a central heating fitter in Portsmouth/Soutsea area, that would be great.

Thanks for your help
Fitz

Sponsored Links
Perhaps about £2500-£4500 depending on a lot of factors and particularly if you want a cheap or expensive boiler.

Make sure you know if the quotes are for plastic or copper ( better ) pipework. Also make sure they use a suitable cleanser like X300.

There used to be someone in your area advertising on this site.

Tony

Agile is there any evidence that copper is in fact better than plastic?

I'm not a plumber, but I can see the advantages with plastic - no creaking in floor voids and no water noise.

Is it a lifetime issue?

Sponsored Links
I`ve only fitted ballvalves in Portsmouth, and Croyden.......I`m going to Fnland to Torbeck to fit kitchens for Poggenpohl

I would have thought around £3500 + VAT for a quality boiler with all the latest programmer and stats etc.

I always use copper, but I always use tubular hairfelt over every joist or place that copper can expand. I've unfortunately got plastic in my new house and the expansion pipe noise is as bad as any badly fitted copper :rolleyes:

Gas4you, i wonder if you've got plastic because your house is a new build and notching joists is being looked upon less and less favorably by building control.
Local architects here wont even give you notch position( between 0.2 and 0.4 of span, 0.25 depth) any more only hole positions and most builders now are using the compressed I beams with knock outs, so until you can thread copper through joists, plastic it is.(for new build)

Yeah, thats the reason it is plastic, all major new builds around here are the same, my point though was that plastic can be as noisy as copper if it isn't fitted correctly and I used to just turn up on site when it was being built to check on the house bashers that were doing it, much to their annoyance :rolleyes:

Yeah badly installed plastic is as bad as badly installed copper. i know its just that copper versus plastic arguement. Each has its own place and use, just gets on your t*** people saying make sure its copper. :evil:

I've always used plastic when I've been on site doing new build, but I have a problem (mentally :!: ) using it on private work that I do now, not because I think it is inferior, I just think of it as more visually unattractive where it shows and looks a bit diy, no offence to anyone who uses it, I wish I could solve my mental problem as it would be quicker to use plastic :rolleyes:

BTW my other half wishes I could cure my mental problem as well :LOL:

More stella cures everything on fridays.Todays fight with black iron's left me ready for a drink. :D

I'm on my 3rd now :LOL: Black iron :rolleyes: I never touch the stuff, if I can't convert to copper I don't take the job on :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back