And today's word is...REDACT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
And for an explanation of the word, mosey on over and take a peek through your MP's expenses claims. It should become blatantly obvious.

Sponsored Links
It makes no sense to me whatever.

I am an educated man

I found one dictionary definition:

Redact \Re*dact"\ (r?*d?kt"), v. t. [L. redactus, p. p. of redigere; pref. red-, re-, again, back + agere to put in motion, to drive.]

To reduce to form, as literary matter; to digest and put in shape (matter for publication); to edit.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)

and it still makes no sense whatever.

Why do MP's like to use words which are unintelligible to the vast majority of the population? Like "refute" which usually means "to disprove" but in a politicians mouth means "deny". Or "resile". What the hell does that mean?

perhaps its a throwback to days gone by where terms or names for objects or practices were created to make it awkward for an outsider to have a chance of entering into an institution?

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/redact

Verb 2. Looks good ... interpolate, alter, falsify - insert words into texts, often falsifying it thereby

I guess the snouters prefer blank out - cut out, as for political reasons; "several line in the report were blanked out"

-p-

Sponsored Links
To redact is to edit, or prepare for publishing. Frequently, a redacted document, such as a memo or e-mail message, has simply had personal (or possibly actionable) information deleted or blacked out; as a consequence, redacted is often used to describe documents from which sensitive information has been expunged. Clicky

To redact is to** edit**, or prepare for publishing. . Clicky
Or as the Yanks say.... Editorialise :LOL: "Random" is the latest most used out of context word......any others spring to your minds? eg. " obviously" ..also phrases.. "@ the end of the day" @ this moment in time etc.

Nige,
Another couple for your list:

"claims were within the rules"

"claimed in error"

Sponsored Links
Back