Angela Rayner

And that amount of real TAX was - how much £0?

Yes. She put out a statement saying that she had recently been given expert advice that her CGT liability is zero. As I stated weeks ago, that was most likely because of the home improvements, which were obvious to me from the photos of her house. What exactly has she done wrong as regards the CGT issue? Is this a thought crime? She originally thought her liability was zero because the house she sold was her only house. But it turns out she was wrong, and her liability is zero for a different reason. She still has zero CGT liability.

Sponsored Links
I have said 3 times now its not the mistake , misunderstand, confusion etc but the cover up and deceit that is the real problem
But she claims there was no cover up. If she is wrong then she should be punished, but some on here have already had the trail, and found her guilty.

Sponsored Links
why would you say this
As with the majority of ordinary people who sell their own homes, I was not liable for capital gains tax because it was my home and the only one I owned.

if it was a lie.

Now she is saying "I calculated the CGT and allowing for costs was able to show that no tax was due"

To anyone other than a labour lovey or dumb and dumber, it stinks. She's clearly been busy trying to reverse engineer her screw up in to a plausible situation.

She could have confessed at the start and nobody would still be discussing it.

As soon as she runs with the "I did my sums" argument, the press will be pricing up her goods.

why would you say this

if it was a lie.

Now she is saying "I calculated the CGT and allowing for costs was able to show that no tax was due"

I don't know why she did that. The fact is, though, no CGT was due. I would imagine most people are going to see that as much more important than her making a mistake about the reason.

why would you say this
"The tax system is complicated, and lots of people accidentally pay the wrong amount of tax (I’ve done it myself). That’s not a crime. It’s not a crime even if you’re careless or negligent. Ignorance is (in effect) a defence to the crime of tax evasion, because “tax evasion” means intentionally and dishonestly failing to pay tax."

To anyone other than a labour lovey or dumb and dumber, it stinks.

Let the CGT go and concentrate on the other potential issues!

It's very hard to get people excited about a conspiracy to avoid a tax that wasn't actually due.

making a mistake, lying and then covering it up. This is the issue.

It's not a fact that no tax is due. It has yet to be claimed.

I'm sure the press will let it go as soon as she apologises for her mistake and of course we'd expect her to give others the benefit of the doubt next time.

We know she wont. She has rightly been held to account.

Hello, what's this? Another Angela story in today's press?

Motorbiking will be all over it like leprosy.

Ooooops, no, my mistake.

It's just more Tory sleaze.

Motorbiking won'r spend weeks stirring this one.

"Tory donor behind Rishi Sunak private jet flight hit by £14mn asset freeze

Akhil Tripathi’s Belgravia home included in injunction as he battles High Court civil fraud case"

FT.com

Sponsored Links
Back