Annoyed with adverts using 100% CPU

should advertising use significant computer power?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 14 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am annoyed with web page advertising that makes my laptop fan come on; many sites with useless (to me) Flash banners will double the power used by my laptop as they will use 100% of the CPU on at least one core. Obviously, I block the sponsor sites, but that means the site I'm visiting doesn't get the revenue.

Sponsored Links
No such thing as a free lunch, many of your fave sights would disappear without ad revenue.
Those ads that appear in the middle of the screen with the hard to see 'X to close' get right on my tits. :mad:

I acknowledged that advertising revenue funds many sites. My gripe is with advertising that uses much more resources than the page I want to read.

Sponsored Links
Never have a problem with adverts, I use Host Files.

Also Google 'AdBlockPlus' for which ever browser you are using and install as an Addon to your browsewr.

I am annoyed with web page advertising that makes my laptop fan come on; many sites with useless (to me) Flash banners will double the power used by my laptop as they will use 100% of the CPU on at least one core. Obviously, I block the sponsor sites, but that means the site I'm visiting doesn't get the revenue.

do the adverts switch your fan on... if so... they are very clever...

They pointlessly load his CPU, generating heat and turning the fan on.
Which is annoying.

absolute rubbish....if you leave it on all day the fan still kicks in...

do the adverts on your television make it work harder....

Do you realise that CPUs draw more power when active and processing than idle?
Yes, the fan will kick in every now and then on an idle laptop (..well, most of them), however it will come on and stay on when a stupid flash ad loads the CPU.

so if you just leave your machine on.. whether a laptop or a pc.it will load a flash ad.. i must add i know nothing about it... just curious and willing to learn...

so if you just leave your machine on.. whether a laptop or a pc.it will load a flash ad.. i must add i know nothing about it... just curious and willing to learn...

No, you're trolling. Go away.

geraint FYI: I can leave the laptop running all day at 19W with no fan. If I display a web page with some flash adverts or even scrolling script, it runs over 35W and the fan comes on. (I tend to use the fan to indicate which advert sites to block.)

It's not the adverts, its the poor programming of Flash/Java etc. Steve Jobs had a point in refusing to let it onto the iphone.

Hopefully, when the web moves to more HTML5, things will run smoother

In the meantime, try another browser or use some ad/flash blocking plug-ins

Sponsored Links
Back