annoying gloss paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey,

I am painting my parents living room and am currently painting the skirting. I sanded and washed down the wood and applied primer successfully but when i apply the gloss it quickly goes an uneven and a funny texture (within 2 minutes).

Can anyone tell me why this is happening?

Cheers all.

Sponsored Links
what sort of primer, what sort of undercoat, what sort of gloss, how long did you leave it to dry, did you sand between coats, how did you clean off after sanding, how did you clean the brush, how dry was it.

Its a Dulux all purpose primer, and a high gloss. the primer was left to dry overnight and then the gloss was added the next morning. I sugar soaped the surface after sanding and i used new brushes for each paint. Have been searching for answers for ages but cant find any.

Bet you didn't clean off the sugar soap properly. You didn't need it anyway.

Sponsored Links
are these both oil-based (=thin with white sprit) paints?

perhaps the gloss was too thick.

can you post photos?

How old is the house? I wonder if it was old linseed oil paint underneath.

Is it a texture like crocodile skin?

Some kind of polish or silicone

What's on the floor e.g. carpets / wood ?

you didn't apply an undercoat, and you didn't sand or clean the primer before applying the gloss, is that right?

Was the primer hard enough that your fingernail wouldn't mark it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back