Annoying noise from boiler when fired....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have another query that I'd like to ask the pro's if I may please?...

Basically when my boiler is first fired up, banging type noises (not too loud but quite annoying) are heard and last for quite a while ... they seem like they are coming from the boiler casing.... - but the hot water and heating are both fine.

the boiler is an old potterton and is a normal boiler that feeds radiators and a hot water cylinder.

any suggestions to what the noise could be? all radiators have been bleed and all seems ok??

Sponsored Links
do you live in a hard water area? Sounds like the boiler is "kettling" due to the heat exchanger being scaled up. I'd recommend some sentinel X200 or Fernox boiler noise silencer.

when you finally get it drained stick some sentinel x200 in it. when refilling

Sponsored Links
sorry one last point ... why would the boiler heat exchanger get scaled up over time? i don't think fresh water gets into the system that often? perhaps over the years though? although the system has had inhibitor in it always.... ??

Hi,

We have a Worcester Highflow and have a similar problem I guess - but it the noise happens every 30 seconds or so and is really quite loud now :(

I understand this may be down to sludge etc causing kettling, but I don't know where to put the x200 etc into the system? There is a tank in the roof that would seem to feed into the boiler itself but nervous in case this could result in the x200 . inhibitor ending up in the hot water as well as the heating system? ie. I don't want to endanger the family when taking a bath etc...

I did just take the lid off the boiler for bit of a look, and there would seem to be a pump on the back left (blue thing) which has a box above it with a 3 stage switch. At the moment the switch is in the position which seems to make the pump work at it's highest setting once triggered (which is when the noise occurs and you can hear bubbling / gurgling all the way up to the tank above) - if I set the switch to either of the lower settings (I think one is actually 'off') then all is quite until the ignition fires and then the noise is utterly terrifying and the whole thing sounds like it's going to blow up or something!

Can any one help?

What is the switch for?

Is it likely that there is a problem with the pump (is it a pump?) or are we just looking at a sludge problem here?

Should I get a new boiler?

Am I safe putting the x200 / de-sludge fluid into the tank above or is there a better place for me to pour this?

Any help very much appreciated. Don't have oodles of cash to fix this - BG been out but said all the radiators needed flushing and the quote (wasn't covered by the monthly subscription we have - of course!) was scarey (also, no noise comes from the radiators themselves or the pipes indoors so not convinced that would be a good investment).

Noise is driving me crazy!!! Please help!

Thanks...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back