Another chainsaw victim.

Sponsored Links
Cousin was using his and the chain snapped whiplashing him down the face.
Removed a chunk of his nose and forehead.
He had to get into his tractor and drive a distance back to the farm.
He made it but only just.

I use a chainsaw a lot in my business, a chainsaw is unforgiving in the wrong hands, protective gear is essential as is a thorough knowledge of how these machines work and a thorough knowledge of how to take a tree down, its not a case of just cutting a vee in the trunk and shouting timber there is a lot more to it than that, accidents only happen to idiots.

Sponsored Links
Very sad.

Wouldn't it be possible to have some sort of cover over the whole blade which would move and reveal the blade when pushed slowly, but which locked in place with a violent movement or without a hand on the handle?

I dont think you can hire a chainsaw as a diyer none of the hire places around my way hire them at all so there may be some rules in place

You can hire them in most tool hire places. They just make you aware that they are dangerous, then let you loose with it.

Unfortunately, when people or some DIyers lack common safety sense, they have to be protected by law, other wise it is perfectly possible for those with common sense e that all power tools are lethal, not just chain saw, a grinder with a trigger latch can be equally or potentially dangerous if it slips out of your hand grip, circular saw ain't safe either, even the bench mounted ones you have to be very careful with as they can kick back the work piece, even the humble jig saw can be lethal, it could throw you back, if you didn't have a perfect balance.

But to say every one needs to be registered with H&S and be qualified, is a load of rollex.

used a chainsaw 20yrs plus.
Simple rules really. never use in a raised position and always work downwards,
only use the blade which is running from halfway from the tip to the saw on the underneath. Start the blade running before you engage the timber.
Secure what you are cutting before cutting it.

If you apply all these then the safety equipment hat/gloves/goggles/shin protectors/protective boots etc will never see any action.

problem occur when people use the wrong section of the blade while cutting which can simply be because the saw blade is too short and they really need a bigger saw. ironically the bigger the chainsaw the safer as you are less likely to get pinches and kickbacks.

Diyers being aware of nasty accidents with chainsaws is all thats needed.
People know if you go near a crocodile it can bite your head off, so they stay well clear. Well most do.

Sponsored Links
Back