Another E-Bay question....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK - Here's the scenario

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/shalley-shed-...ryZ75604QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is on eBay as an open auction, starting at £1, no reserve, and a buy it now price of £2500. I am the highest bidder, at £1, and the seller has just written to say that he will sell it today for £1500 and its mine

Now, surely, if I win, I win. I admit he may have cocked up his listing, and I don't want to make an issue of it if he doesn't really want to sell his, erm, shalley for a pound, but I am in the right, aren't I ?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Richardp i will go halfers with you in case business is a bit slow, you don't want to fork out too much, the bank manager might not give you the capital as it's not a up and running profitable business yet :LOL:

johnny_t said:
OK - Here's the scenario

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/shalley-shed-...ryZ75604QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is on eBay as an open auction, starting at £1, no reserve, and a buy it now price of £2500. I am the highest bidder, at £1, and the seller has just written to say that he will sell it today for £1500 and its mine

Now, surely, if I win, I win. I admit he may have cocked up his listing, and I don't want to make an issue of it if he doesn't really want to sell his, erm, shalley for a pound, but I am in the right, aren't I ?

Technically yes, it's a binding contract, not always so easy in practise though. In other words, the seller could sell it to you for £1 (as a binding obligation to fulfil the contract) but then could charge you £2499 for access to his land in order to pick it up. I wish you the best of luck.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
since he did start it at a low price, and he didnt put a reserve on it, and he should have noticed the mistake before submitting the auction, then he should have to sell it for the winning bid. but be aware he might cancel your bid a few mins before the auction closes

What makes me laugh on ebay is when you can't view the item someone has sold/bought, as it is a 'private' auction, but the seller is someone like "thejohnnyshop" or "sicktwistedandfranklyquitebizarresexualfetishshop".

he has sort of put a reserve on by stating the price he wants i agree he has made a mistake but it looks like an honest one

you really dont think you would get it for 100 let alone 1 do you :LOL:

go on 1500 is a bargain

Once the auction is over, he is obliged to sell it to you for the closing price. But there's SFA you can do to make him if he won't.

AFAIK, he can end the auction early if he fears that he isn't going to get enough for it, giving as the reason that the item is no longer available.

Let's face it - he's trying to avoid paying the reserve fee, and if he makes a habit of it eBay will do something, but for a new seller like him they'll probably just remind him of the rules.

PS - I did wonder if "shalley" was a dialect word or regional colloquialism for shed, until I saw the rest of the appalling spelling mistakes in the description... :D

ban-all-sheds said:
AFAIK, he can end the auction early if he fears that he isn't going to get enough for it, giving as the reason that the item is no longer available.

people should be banned for that. it like biddin for something then noticing you dont actually have anywhere to put that boeing 747 in your garden and backing out

The guy can always end the item (using "end it now") before the auction finishes if he doesn't feel that he'll get a good price.
And there's bugger all you can do about that.
Gcol

Richardp said:
glad to see you have no negative feedback :D
I do have one very unfairly given negative against my profile. Its the seller who is feedback-free.

Just looked again and I'm still winning.

johnny_t said:
Richardp said:
glad to see you have no negative feedback :D
I do have one very unfairly given negative against my profile. Its the seller who is feedback-free.

Just looked again and I'm still winning.
faded poppers :eek: thats low :LOL:

The local Discovery Store was closing down, and had 75% off the closing-down sale prices, which meant they were more or less giving everything away and I came out stacked with stuff, like I'd been on a trolley grab after winning a competition.

I bought some stuff specifically to eBay, including some 'Pucca' watches - liek a Japanese cartoon character thing, and I have to say, there was nothing wrong with them. I'm not even sure they had poppers, so I think the woman had her feedback wires crossed with something else.

:evil: :evil: Makes Johny Cross :evil: :evil:

Sponsored Links
Back