Another extractor fan question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi every1.
I have been reading alot of the posts about how to fit an extract fan in a bathroom. I want my new fan to work independantly from the light. the fan has a timer built in.
Do i take the live from permanent live in lighting junction box and neutral to a 3 pole pull cord switch and then from this switch to my fan. if this is the case where do i get switched live from so the fan will run on after i have pulled the pull cord.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
perm line from the same terminal in ceiing rose or a link on pull switch. Are you aware of "PART P"? This requires (among others) that new installations in bathrooms are notified to the local building control dept. Also is the circuit protected by an RCD?

The circuit is protected by RCD. What does perm line mean?

There is a fan there at the moment but i am putting in a more stylish 1.

To the uninitiated that means permanent live. :) You sounded to not have a fan at all, if replacing you should be ok.

Sponsored Links
So just to be clear. Do i take 2 wires from perm live light junction box and connect 1 to live of the fan and 1 to switch live of the fan.

can any1 else clarify if my last post was the right thing to do please. I could do with getting it done today but dont want to do it wrong.

It's the right thing to do if you want the fan to run all the time.

It's a bit worrying that you can't spot that if you have a wire which is permanently live connected to the switched live terminal of the fan, the fan will behave as if the switch was on all the time....

What type of fan do you currently have, and how is it controlled?

Thats what i thought but it didnt seem to make sense what Wingcoax was saying.

I have a timer fan that switches on with the light but i want to be able to manually switch the fan on via 3 pole switch then pull switch and for the timer to keep the fan on for 15-20 mins. I need to know where to get my switched live from to do this. Is this even possible without using the lighting switched live.

The other method i thought of was to wire the fan with 3 pole switch and then to a pull cord timer switch, therefore not using the in built timer of the fan.

Instead of taking your switched live from the light switch install an additional 1-way pull switch and use that. Run twin & earth to it from a convenient place, and then 3C+E from there to the fan via the 3-pole isolator.

1) All this work is notifiable.

2) Is the bathroom lighting on an RCD?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back