(another) Fitting a Toilet query...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, could do with your advice on fitting a new toilet after a DIY disaster led to a big crack in the old one...

1. I am fitting laminate floor in the bathroom at the same time and was thinking that rather than cut around the toilet, I would just put the floor under the toilet instead. Given that this will adjust the height of the toilet pan, should I use the an offset pan connector or given that the floor is quite thin, will it be ok staying with the normal connector?

2. I then need to connect the inlet water pipe to the cistern inlet. My options are:

a) cut the copper pipe off and use some kind of push fit (pipe end) to screw on (toilet pan end) connector, or

b) we currently have one of these on the inlet pipe, so if I could get some find of flexible pipe to screw onto that and then onto the water inlet of the cistern...

Anyway my point here is, would i be better going for a or b? And could someone suggest suitable parts for a or b?

Thanks in advance

GK

Sponsored Links
gk141054 said:
Hi folks, could do with your advice on fitting a new toilet after a DIY disaster led to a big crack in the old one...

1. I am fitting laminate floor in the bathroom at the same time and was thinking that rather than cut around the toilet, I would just put the floor under the toilet instead. Given that this will adjust the height of the toilet pan, should I use the an offset pan connector or given that the floor is quite thin, will it be ok staying with the normal connector?

2. I then need to connect the inlet water pipe to the cistern inlet. My options are:

a) cut the copper pipe off and use some kind of push fit (pipe end) to screw on (toilet pan end) connector, or

b) we currently have one of these on the inlet pipe, so if I could get some find of flexible pipe to screw onto that and then onto the water inlet of the cistern...

Anyway my point here is, would i be better going for a or b? And could someone suggest suitable parts for a or b?

Thanks in advance

GK

Depending on the position of the floor joints, you may find that putting the WC onto the laminate causes the floor to raise under the weight of the WC.

You might be better sitting the WC onto a piece of ply that is a couple of mm thicker than the laminate plus underlay but is slightly smaller then the size of the WC base, that way the cut-out around the WC doesn't need to be as neat as the floor can slide under.

As for connecting to the cistern you will need a 15mm x 3/8" BSP fitting. You can either run copper tube right up to the cistern a la a pro or get a 15mm to 3/8" flexible tap connector which gives you more flexibility (excuse the pun) when fitting the water supply.

Fit one of the flexi hoses with integral isolation 15mm compression/pushfit with 1/2" BSP thread X 300mm long.

Ho! and fit the toilet on the laminate, Forget the ply wood lark :eek:

Sponsored Links
Yes any one of them ;) 1/2" BSP thread on the inlet to the toilet, 3/4" usually for bath taps and such ;)

Right, after a quick trip to Wickes, i'm back with more questions....

1. If I am putting the laminate flooring underneath the floor, will I need to use an offset pan connector to account for the change in height of the pan with the flooring underneath (total difference with laminate is about 11mm)

2. The copper pipe that I am connecting to has been painted. I'm not sure whether I will use a compression or push fit connector, but I assume I need to get rid of all paint off the pipe first...? How can I do this (without damaging the pipe?)

Cheers

GK

1:- 11mm wont make much difference.

2:- Scrape off paint with the back of a knife or flat driver then clean with wire wool, personally I use Scotch bright, hate the little wire splinters.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back