Another immersion question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I currently have a combi providing hot water but, as it common, the flow rate to the bath is poor (well if you want hot water).

So I'm thinking of leaving the kitchen and utility room on the combi but adding a hot water tank in the airing cupboard powered by an electric element to feed the bathroom. The problem is my house has a loft convertion and as a result the only loft space I have is not above the airing cupboard, therefore I can not have a "direct" vertical run for the vent pipe (I was told many moons ago that the vent could not have bends in it).

Can anyone confirm and/or suggest an answer.

BTW: The remaining loft space is about 4m to the right of the airing cupboard location.

I was hoping to do this as a DIY job so want to avoid a sealed system if I can.

Sponsored Links
Never seen owt which said they couldn't have bends. I'd go for a direct sealed cylinder though, they have 2 immersion heaters and give you a decent shower, & no pump to buy, no cistern to install.
Sure you have to be "competent" to fit them, big deal. Read the instructions, read the British Standard, then don't do it yourself if you find it hard. If you want I daresay you could bung a plumber to sign your bit of paper.

That's a surprise ChrisR, do you MEAN an un-vented cylinder?. Would you suggest the same approach to fitting a gas boiler?

Unvented cylinders should b e notified to building control (or is it the water supplier) BEFORE installation. If they're not done properly they can cause expensive problems. (I don't mind too much, I've earnt quite a lot from sorting the problems). Insurance companies are using any possible excuse to avoid paying claims, and an illegally fitted one of these could be just what they need.

A vented cylinder is a reasonable diy option, much less money, and much cheaper to live with. You can heat this from the boiler by treating it as a zone on the heating system, with an immersion heater for backup. BTW heaters for Megaflows.

If his flow rate is poor from the combi wont it still be poor for the direct cylinder thingagigamy ? and defeat the object of the exercise.

Sponsored Links
why not go for a combination cylinder.

Here the expansion cistern is the top part of the cylinder. Mount it on a platfrom to give a good head of water.

Could also do what they did in flats in the past. i.e. separate direct hot water cylinder with immersion heater on timer (? economy 7 if u are a morning person), plus separate water cistern above on a platform.

um..That's an idea, fitting the cold tank above it in the same cupboard. I will get my tape out.

Thanks for for the input guys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back