another kind of radiator issue

Jim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have one radiator where the inlet pipe can be roasting but the radiator doesnt get hot enough. I find no air in the rad. The exit pipe doesnt seem to get hot at all. I have adjusted the lockshield to half way. To get the rad hotter. Do I close it or open it more please to increase heat ?
Help
Jim

Sponsored Links
i am not a plumber or heating engineer.
It sounds like like radiator is blocked with sludge.

Try taking the radiator off (close both valves) and try flushing the radiator itself.

What type of heating system do you have?

Do you have thermostatic rad valves?

Has the rad ever worked?

If so did it stop working suddenly?

Has any work been carried out on the system recently?

How old is the system?

:D Gary Clay

garyclay said:
What type of heating system do you have?

Do you have thermostatic rad valves?

Has the rad ever worked?

If so did it stop working suddenly?

Has any work been carried out on the system recently?

How old is the system?

:D Gary Clay
The system is probably old as it has a Baxi back boiler. I have only just moved in so dont know how long the problem has existed. There are no thermostatic valves. The heating and hot water system works fine everywhere else but this one radiator. No work has been carried out on the system. The rad does heat up but not as much as the others in house.
Jim

Sponsored Links
If the feed valve is definately sound then it sounds like a possible sludge blockage. Try removing the rad taking it outside and give it a good cleaning with a hosepipe.

You could also try introducing a sludge removal compound such as Fernox leave for 24hrs then draining the whole system down and refilling a couple of times..

garyclay said:
If the feed valve is definately sound then it sounds like a possible sludge blockage. Try removing the rad taking it outside and give it a good cleaning with a hosepipe.

You could also try introducing a sludge removal compound such as Fernox leave for 24hrs then draining the whole system down and refilling a couple of times..
Thanks a lot for your advice. I will try the idea.
Jim

Jim said:
garyclay said:

Thanks a lot for your advice. I will try the idea.

Jim
Thanks everybody. Desludged;refitted; boiling hot. Many thanks
Jim

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back