Another mortar request

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

could you please tell me what sort of mortar this is/how to make it please? For a Victorian house. Thank you.
EF7-FD5-EF-90-F3-4519-A2-D8-01-A52-AA84748.jpg

Sponsored Links
Do you mean the style of pointing or the actual mortar mix? The pointing style is a rough attempt at 'weatherstruck'. There will be various YouTube vids showing how that's done.

Do you mean the style of pointing or the actual mortar mix? The pointing style is a rough attempt at 'weatherstruck'. There will be various YouTube vids showing how that's done.
Sorry I meant the type of mortar - what materials to use/mix ratios. Interesting about the style though! Didn’t know that :)

4 or 5 parts building sand to 1 part ordinary cement. Mix dry until its an even colour, add water so that when you squeeze a handful, just a bit of water comes out of your fingers.

Sponsored Links
For pointing I'd also add a splash of plasticiser into the water before adding it. This makes it easier to place and needs less water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back