another pointing question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

After getting a window replaced recently the joiners whilst removing the old frame have disturbered the pointing, I now have about a half inch gap between the new frame and the granite blocks.

Has anybody got some advice on how to replace the pointing

any prep work required?, it looks like all the old pointing has been removed
whats the best material for pointing?
any further tips for ensuring a good job?

As a further note a work colleague advised using expanding foam to fill in most of the gap and then cement on the outside to provide a neat finish, any problams with this?

Sponsored Links
General prep work: brush it hard, get it clean. Then unibond it.

Material: I'm not a professional, so I can't tell you categorically what the best material would be. Personally, I'd use mortar.

Further tips: Whatever you use under the pointing, make sure you leave a depression rather than come right out to the brickwork. Otherwise, you may find that the pointing protrudes more than you would have liked.

As a further note a work colleague advised using expanding foam to fill in most of the gap and then cement on the outside to provide a neat finish, any problams with this?

Personally, I'd use bonding instead to save money. I'd stick it in with a plasterers small trowel, to avoid gettings loads on the brickwork that you have to clean off, as well as being an easy tool to work with given the job. The other advantage to using bonding is that you'd have a more even surface to work to. With the unevenness of the foam, you might have a more involved job what with having to fill little crannies. A disadvantage to using foam would be the smallness of a half-inch gap. Wouldn't be easy getting Stanley in there for the fine cutting away once you'd done the stock removal.

If I were going to do it your colleague's way though, I'd unibond the dried foam several times.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back