ANOTHER SOUNDPROOFING QUESTION

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
im hoping someone can give us some advice about soundproofing the party wall in our 1960's semi after a family of 8 moved in next door.
The noise is mainly airbourne ie tv, talking/shouting and music and a little impact ie running up the stairs and doors slamming.
i know it will be hard to get rid of the latter but im hoping to greatly improve the airbourne noise.
We plan to build a simple stud wall attached to the floor and ceiling with an approx 2 inch gap away from the existing wall, fill it with Rockwool RWA45 and cover with 2 layers of sound board instead of the normal plaster board.
Could anybody advise me if this is the best solution and if we would be using the best products.
I have seen some people have also used some sort of metal resistance bar within the structure, we hadnt planned for those so would they make much difference to the overall effect?
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Did the house have chimney breasts when built? If so , have they been removed on one or both sides of the party wall?

Standard spec is 100mm stud set about 20mm off of the wall. Fill with 100mm dense mineral wool. 2 layers 15mm soundcheck board with staggered joints fixed on resilient bars. Fill all side, floor and ceiling edges with acoustic sealant.

The resilient bars are cheap and do make a difference.

Standard spec is 100mm stud set about 20mm off of the wall. Fill with 100mm dense mineral wool. 2 layers 15mm soundcheck board with staggered joints fixed on resilient bars. Fill all side, floor and ceiling edges with acoustic sealant.

The resilient bars are cheap and do make a difference.

Thanks for your reply, sounds what we had in mind without the bars, will looking into getting those as well.
Manythanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back