Ant Infestation Under Bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We noticed ants coming out of gaps between the bath and the tiles in the bathroom. On closer inspection, it seemed fairly damp underneath the bath and I could see big chunks of plasterboard flaking away.

I think water has been leaking through a tile that was loose near the showerhead and holes in the sealant. I removed the bath today (had to use some force in the end) and pulled out quite a bit of the rotten / damp plasterboard . There were quite a lot of winged ants underneath.

Here are some pictures ;

I have a basic plan in mind, can anyone give me some advice about how to carry out each step and what tools and materials I will need ? I don't really have any experience in this kind of work. I need to do the job in a cost effective way ;

1.) Ensure all the existing ants are gone, preferably in a humane way. A lot of them seem to have made their way over to the window after taking up the bath, might they leave of their own accord ?

2.) Ensure there is no way / no routes for ants to come back.

3.) Replace plasterboard and tiles.

4.) Replace any wooden supports that were keeping the bath in place

5.) Put the bath back and reseal with sealant

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Nippon ant liquid, (not Powder) can be used anywhere its magic stuff

and make good as detailed

Always found the nipon liquid to be useless while the powder works a treat, you need to replace the plasterboard with aqua panel or similar.Winged ant are kings and queens of the new nests, the larger queen will mate with the smaller male and then loose her wings and start a new nest while the males just die.

the liquid works great for me. A couple of drops on a coin so it doesn't soak in, the little bastards cluster round to eat it and carry it back to the nest to share with their friends.

Keep topping it up, and within a week or so the nest is dead.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I have some more questions ;

1.) If I only fit aqua board in the area under the showerhead where the old plasterboard was, is that ok ? Do any other wall
areas under the bath need sealing ?

2.) Can I cut aqua board with a small hacksaw? When screwing the aqua board into the joists, what size/type of screw do I need ?

3.) When removing the bath I bent a bit of metal housing one of the legs, I bent it back to shape, but will it be a problem, i.e have I weakened it ?

4.) Do I need wooden supports/slats to hold the bath place ?

5.) Do I glue the bath to the walls first, then use sealant? What kind of glue / sealant do I need ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back