Ant plague

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dunno if they are just particularly bad this year, but we seem to be absolutely plagued with ants. Wondered if anyone had come across anything that is really effective in getting back to the nests? I'm blasting what I can see with chemical killers but I think I'm just winning the battles but not the war.

So far we've had them getting in at damp course level at three different points along the back of the house, getting into the UPVC back door frame, and a UPVC window. In the garden, we've had countless ground nests, countless flower tubs being taken over (one today was literally swarming with hundreds of winged ants), and the block paving driveway is just riddled with them.

Ideas appreciated - esp. on the block paving. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
A couple of years ago we had a plague of ants in our kitchen and after trying all the sprays and powders finally got some of THESE. I wasn't very hopeful, but a couple of days after placing them on their main paths there were no more ants to be seen and I haven't seen any since. You can also get garden spikes for outdoors (all in link) but not sure how they would fare on a block drive.

The ground spikes may be worth a go in this case - they will have to forage a fair distance anyway so I can stick them at the edge of the paving.

I think I've killed the nests in the wall of the house as we're seeing hardly anything coming in now, so I don't want to use anything that might actually draw them in unless I really have to. But good to know there is something that might work inside too.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Pour some white spirit down their entry and and exit points, they don't like aromatics.

Wotan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back