Ants again

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It has become a regular, annual invasion.... We never used to have this, a decade ago.

A couple of weeks ago, we began seeing them, at the front of the house, and the back - inside. We did a daily count of the number of ants seen, to see how bad it was, and whether we were making progress with getting rid of them. Often, there were just too many to count. We did my usual trick of mixing borax 50/50, with icing sugar, placed in multiple plastic milk bottle tops, scattered around the place - always seemed to work before, but didn't seem as tasty for them this year. Tried a drop of honey in the mix, and that seemed much more attractive, but mid-week, Avril spotted some ant powder, in the hut. As the ants seemed to be appearing from behind skirting boards, we brushed the ant powder into skirting board gaps. Uncertain whether it was the end of the invasion, we had a 7-day holiday booked, so had to leave the house to its own devices, until our return. Since our return, no sign of any ants at all.

Sponsored Links
It has become a regular, annual invasion.... We never used to have this, a decade ago.

A couple of weeks ago, we began seeing them, at the front of the house, and the back - inside. We did a daily count of the number of ants seen, to see how bad it was, and whether we were making progress with getting rid of them. Often, there were just too many to count. We did my usual trick of mixing borax 50/50, with icing sugar, placed in multiple plastic milk bottle tops, scattered around the place - always seemed to work before, but didn't seem as tasty for them this year. Tried a drop of honey in the mix, and that seemed much more attractive, but mid-week, Avril spotted some ant powder, in the hut. As the ants seemed to be appearing from behind skirting boards, we brushed the ant powder into skirting board gaps. Uncertain whether it was the end of the invasion, we had a 7-day holiday booked, so had to leave the house to its own devices, until our return. Since our return, no sign of any ants at all.
You count ants and study appliance electricity usage...?
I'm guessing you have trouble keeping a partner.

I had ants in my pants.
They didn't stay long, when they see
what they thought was a massive ant eater.

Sponsored Links

There's been a minor invasion of 'em in the kitchen this month and i can't figure out where they get in - i put ant powder around the stopcock and that seemed to do it but a few days later i spotted a scout trying to keep a low profile near the door and a few more since then. I'm going to get an ant trap and see how it works on 'em....fiddly spring traps are so tiny though, and it takes forever to cut up small chunks o' cheese for bait.

So is your boot/shoe - with your foot in it of course :ROFLMAO:

Borax is good for getting rid of ants.

It is, the problem is attracting them to take it. I used my usual icing sugar mix, and they completely ignored it this year - a splodge of honey added, and they were all over it. It seemed as if many had drowned in the honey, but checking back later, there were none to be seen.

The idea is that they should take the mix back to the nest, to poison the entire nest.

Terrify the ants into believing they have been invaded by "War Of The
Worlds" style Martians by standing 3 pin plugs on end around their
holes.

Sponsored Links
Back