Any contact lense wearers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been wearing specs for the majority of my working life, and am getting a bit fed up of wrecking them on building sites, and the permanant film of dust they seem to attract.

I have been thinking about trying some contact lenses, and heard on the radio that specsavers are offering a free trial of their daily disposable contact lenses.

I appreciate that this is not perhaps the most cost effective way of doing things, but I think I may struggle being bothered with all the cleaning regeimes of 'proper' lenses.

Just wondered what peoples personal experiences were with contacts, and which type they prefer. I'm especially interested if you have tried a few different types of lenses, or if you are rubbish at stuff, but managed to look after your lenses.

Obviously I will talk things through with my optician, but I like to get a bit clued up beforehand.
:)

Sponsored Links
How about laser eye surgery?

Oh and I don't wear glasses or contacts - never have.

I don't mind gambling with my money, but not with my eyesight.

I know the sucess rate is very high, but I really don't fancy it.

I've got a friend that had laser surgery (£500 per eye I think) and swears by it.

It is hard to trust people with your mince pies though! :(

Sponsored Links
when ever i hear that ad, i always think of leila

leila_07.gif

one on the radio, it does say "..................from £500 per eye"

Is your sig from the Columbo film today with Oscar Finch. It had the regular murderer Patrick Mc Goohan who always seems to get caught by the wit of Columbo!:cool:

I wore contacts for ages years ago (until I got dry eyes). I had the ones you clean every night. I couldn't be bothered with the one that they started me off on - 3 step cleaning - rubbing the lens with one solution, then soaking it in the cleaner, then neutralising it. I went onto a two step - which was just soaking in the cleaner, then neutralising, but I guess it's still a pain in the bum. I just felt somehow that it was really wasteful to throw them out every day!

Must say that it's brilliant wearing them - no steaming up of your specs when you come into the warm house on a cold day, no requirement for window wipers when it's chucking it down with rain.

Only problems I had were working in an air conditioned environment meant my eyes could get dry and if you get dust in your eye, remember not to give it a good rub!

I wear Focus daily disposables, but as stated they can play up in dusty / office environments.
Whichever brand you go for, try them out for a few days first to see if you get on with them.
If you decide to take the plunge, why not save a packet and import them from America?
The link below is my source of contraband, and they haven’t let me down yet.
Nor have any of my orders been intercepted by Customs demanding the VAT ;).
http://www.discountcontactlenses.com/

I gave up on them, they're not for everyone. I had a bad experience when driving up the M1, it was tipping it down with rain, and without the heaters full on, the windscreen kept fogging up. Trouble is with the blowers fully on, the car got drier and drier, until eventually both contacts popped off of my eyes. Stupidly I didn't have my glasses with me, which made for an interesting 200 mile drive home. Also, contacts are not as good at correcting astigmatism (non spherical eyeball) as glasses, although they are certainly better than they were.

Nor have any of my orders been intercepted by Customs demanding the VAT ;).
http://www.discountcontactlenses.com/
That may change, if there's some little sad HMRC person who sits there googling references to VAT and comes up with your post and this url... :LOL:

Not beyond the realms of possibility with that lot, is it?

Nah, they are all too busy looking for that computer disc :D
But just in case, I will clarify my previous post by stating that the individual orders are small, and I believe below the de minimis limits for charging customs duty and import vat :D :eek:

Thanks for the replies. I have booked an apointment with my optician, and will kindly accept their offer of a free trial to see how compatible we are.

Thanks for the link to cheap ones too. Being a Yorkshireman, I like to look after my pennies :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back