Any Fish Experts?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just the subject to put some sparkle into this forum.............I have bought a goldfish for my lad and want to put some gravel in the bottom of the tank.
My missus is of the opinion that you need to buy a special gravel but I think any old will do.

Got plenty of pea gravel in the garden.
Any thoughts. :oops:

Sponsored Links
Clean it thoroughly (an old colander works a treat) - then no problem

I have just the subject to put some sparkle into this forum.............I have bought a goldfish for my lad and want to put some gravel in the bottom of the tank.
My missus is of the opinion that you need to buy a special gravel but I think any old will do.

You need clean gravel, just washing something out of the garden will not do. Rinsing it in a bit of water will not remove some contaminants that will continue to leech out.

And before you tip the gravel in, take the goldfish out, and do not use one of these...

fishtankpet_goldfishbowl.jpg

No you can't use pea gravel.

I thought this a long time ago and took some to a pond/fish expert and they tested it. When put into water it lets out some chemical, even if you wash it.

Sponsored Links
goldfish are as tuff as old boots they will live in anything. i started off with six i now have over a hundred. the pond has mud at the bottom, the water is off the shed and house roof. the experts will try and sell overpriced stuff.

Strage responses gentlemen - we used to have a pond some time ago and I used peagravel (rinsed off with a hose) on the base and on top of plant containers. The fish never suffered, nor did the plants. I also used it in my aquarium when I was a kid - again no problems with this.

If it is washed thoroughly and it is clean it should be ok. Goldfish are very hardy fish and can live in some very dirty water. Soak the gravel is some boiling water then rinse, keep cleaning until the water is crystal clear.

this is a bit like pet shops selling special straw without dust. pets are not wimps. my ferrets dig in the dirt then go to bed without having a bath first.

No problem with pea shingle at all as far as i'm concerned.

In fact recommended by some experts for the aid of egg laying/breeding.
I've kept koi carp and assorted fish for years.

Chemicals shhhhmmmemicals... :rolleyes: ............. ;)

I
Long as it`s not got cats pea in it :idea: Also leave the tap water to stand at least 24 hrs for chlorine to evapoarate :idea: also good idea to get a filter that pulls the water through the gravel and aereiates @ the same time :idea: run by one of those small aquiarum air pumps

I
Long as it`s not got cats pea in it :idea: Also leave the tap water to stand at least 24 hrs for chlorine to evapoarate :idea: also good idea to get a filter that pulls the water through the gravel and aereiates @ the same time :idea: run by one of those small aquiarum air pumps

that's fighting talk....

just use the gravel out of those big yellow bins you find on some of the steep streets.. :)

Sponsored Links
Back