Any Ideal experts out there?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Isar circa 5 years old GC 47-348-15

Leak from domestic pipe at back of plastic dv.

No display (just red led on power switch)

I don't normally do Isar.

Is there an edge connector test I can do with my trusty meter to establish the no display is due to failed display pcb or can it be main pcb?

I presume to fix the domestic leak I have to remove bottom plate, remove plate heat ex, remove dv.

Any part numbers for o ring kits for replacement?

aaV was leaking, replaced that with generic one. There was a lot of water inside due to leak from aav and domestic so I wandering if all electronics shot. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
its probably both boards that are knackerd as the leak has come from the flue on the right hand side of the heat exhanger (primary) and drips down right on the connections of both boards

**** aint it :LOL:

as for the leak, my experiance is that your right its the o rings on the plated DHW he, I just have a pack of o rings and find that does the trick, and saves ordering them from ideal. Sorry I forget what the sizes are

if you have a leak coming from the combustion chamber, just check the condensate trap as they seem to get blocked with gritty stuff (i think its from the paint on the primary heat exchanger.

sorry not to be too compass mental with my reply it is sunday morning ;)

Thanks,

it's for a friend so if both pcb's are also invloved I'll probably recommend he gets Ideal to fix it I believe they do a £175 guranteed fix, would cost me more than that in bits and I wouldn't charge him much, so it would be me that suffers for the fact he bought a house with an Isar in it.

Sponsored Links
if you have no display on the front then the facia PCB is dead, but this board dont turn the boiler on so looks like the main PCB has gone as well

maybe for the best you get ideal out

For the best. I agree. Not the least for my knuckles. How anyone could consider producing a boiler where the sides don't come off baffles me.

I think they should put all Ideal designers on the road with a bunch of parts and see how they like it.

If I inherited a house with one (I'd surely not buy a house with one) I would cut the sides off it right away.

Like I had to do with my old xj6 (cut a hole in the boot floor to work on the inboard breaks).

If the AAV leaks on the icos/isar then it usually drips down and then it usually damages the connector on the rear of the display.

The part which most fails is the back to back pcb strip connector where it goes into the socket on the cable.

You have to buy a new cable and backplate for the display.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back