ideal isar aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i know how crap this boiler is before i start, but to be fair it has been in for about 5-6 years and never had a prob with it, but yesterday we had a power cut, after about an hour water started pouring out of the boiler, the missus switched off the water and drained the system till i got home, refilled it and found plate heat exchanger leaking, couldnt really tell if it was the o rings or the exchanger itself, so drained down removed and had a look at it, thought it looked ok so thought i would take a chance and get o rings only, pcb and display unit were soaking and fried as they were dead, went to merchants this morning, £164 for pcb, £41 for display unit and no o rings kits, had to buy a plate exchanger £65 to get o rings (no he wouldnt split the pack to give me the o rings total incl VAT £320 FFS, due to time constraints i really had to stump up rather than buy a new boiler but i was tempted, all parts fitted and heating back on but what a cost for some bits
so to my question, is the power cut related to some sort of pressure surge or is it purely coincidence,

Sponsored Links
No what probably happened is the boiler went completely cold, the O rings which have hardened over time, couldn't deal with the contraction caused by the boiler going stone cold and hey presto a big leak and fry up as you say No O rings availible as a spare (insane!) :cry:

this may sound daft but bg at the mo would do it cheeper than the part please use them when this happens so u can drain their resource admittedly a little bit

Sponsored Links
too late had to get it done, and to be honest i would not give them a penny, i worked as a supervisor and we subbied to them on installs, their training days had us prepped on all sorts of things to say and do to get out of doing repairs under contract, and the work we had to do for a pittance while they raked in thousands from their punters used to make me sick

busman's holiday eh?

That's what you get for brutally murdering an innocent and much loved dog :eek:

never worked for them but herd a few stories like that more interested in sales man rather than engineer but i tell people this as i don`t want any customers to feel ripped of as i can not beat their price at mo second any major part goes as some gas vavle i went to price up cost 300 inc vat sunni duavl

busman's holiday eh?

yea, you are right, still saves us trying to work out what to buy each other for christmas, the missus can get a plate heat exchanger, a pcb and i can get a £100 excess on the car insurance :eek:

busman's holiday eh?

yea, you are right, still saves us trying to work out what to buy each other for christmas, the missus can get a plate heat exchanger, a pcb and i can get a £100 excess on the car insurance :eek:

busman's holiday eh?

And they say that romance is dead :LOL: :LOL:

In my home I wouldn't have fixed it.

I have the o rings in stock but wouldn't have bought the pcb's.

When you are in the trade you can keep an eye out for bargains. The boiler I run at home at the moment was a 2 yr old band A potty combi I bought for £160. One of my flats has a perfectly good 4 yr old baxi 80e I was given by a boiler swapper who couldn't tie his shoelaces let alon fix a boiler. All it needed was recharge ev, new prv new dhw microswitch. In the other flat I have a free Vokera 2 1/2 yr old I also got for free which is now running on a used Biasi motor head, I reworked (new o rings) the dv cartridge myself and replaced the blown component on the pcb. In the cellar I have a Linea band A which someone scrapped because it was "leaking" but the leak was coming from above the boiler and ran down through it. Soem people haven't even enough common sense to look up when they see water damage.

Maybe I#m just a scrimper and scraper.

When you've had to use cunning and wit to survive 52 years it comes naturally.

What you have to do is keep your eye out for the boilers which other people don't consider sexy. If a Worcester goes on ebay it fetches near new prices. But Potterton goes unnoticed.

The other thing to consider these days is buying a boiler for spare parts. It is the only way to obtain them at a fair price even if you buy the boiler brand spanking new. The parts scandle has so far gone unnoticed because MP's are too busy robbing us themselves to notice manufacturers and retailers doing it..

Here is an example I heard this week. Romeha Avanta pcb manufacturers price is £160 something. That alone is a scandle though perfectly usual for the trade. When I was fixing ALphas for ALpha they told me such parts don't even cost them £20. This will be the same for Romeha, so they are already guilty of daylight robbery, but all manufacturers do it.

But this is the sting, Parts centre sell that pcb for £500 plus, is what I was told this week!

You find that hard to believe don't you? I had had to recheck, but aparently that is what it was at the time.

No doubt because I have posted this there will be a juggling of price lists and a denial of facts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back