Any ideas for insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Chaps,

I need to add some insulation under coping stones around the perimeter of a building.

The building is on a raft that has ICF around/underneath it. There are two different areas of cladding, one being brick, the other shiplap board.

Where the shiplap cladding goes, there is an exposed step of the raft (wrapped in DPM). I am worried about cold bridging in these areas and need to find a product/idea to cover this step underneath the copings.

Any ideas appreciated.

Cheers

James

Sponsored Links
I am struggling to understand what you are trying to insulate. It may be that some of the terms you are using are not correct. Can you upload a couple of pictures to illustrate your question ?

At the moment I am under the impression you may be concerned that with the edge of your raft exposed, it will create a cold bridge to the floor inside your home. But I just don't understand the detail you described.

May I mention that hot always moves to cold.
I imagine that the inside of your home is where the heat is?
What is the purpose of trying to insulate outside?
You should be thing, how can I stop my heat from escaping.
Logic says that you should keep your insulation as close to your comfort zone as possible. That way you will use less.

Hey Blagard,

I think you got the jist even if my term are a bit wayward.

I have done a very rudimentary picture of the area, see attached ( I think)

Cheers

J

Sponsored Links
I can see the area is pretty much as I was thinking.

I would anticipate that the detail as drawn is somewhat incomplete. For example, I would expect to see a step in the raft with the internal floor level quite a bit higher. The detail of your floor to wall junctions would normally ensure that the insulation is for all practical purposes a complete envelope.

Unfortunately I am not very familiar with ICF in construction, so the method of construction you show is unusual to say the least.

Under normal circumstances I really don't think there would be a cold bridge where you indicate. I would expect the detailing to have dealt with any cold bridge issues before reaching that point on the exterior.

I am curious to learn more myself on this one. What is the building sitting on the raft ?

Hopefully one of the more up to date members of the forum can pick up and answer your thread.

Hi Blagard,
the raft is sitting on Jablite with the the ICF and it forming a complete insulated shell to the underside and sides of the raft. lining this shell is the dpm. The r/c raft was poured in one monolithic pour, the surface of which has been polished as the final floor. The jablite and ICF make up all the insulation requirements, the raft when warmed up, should not loose any considerable heat. The stud walls have 100mm insulation in them, again providing the insulation required.

So it is really this exposed area as sort of shown in the drawing that would allow cold bridging.

The plan to cover with coping stones prevents any potential weather ingress underneath the timber sole plate.

I was thinking of using some sort of underfloor heating insulated backer board foamed up to the ICF?

James

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back