Any ideas on cause of damp...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a mid terrace built in 1900. I have damp patches and I'd like help in trying to work out if I have condensation and water ingress from the chimney (or maybe rising damp??) or just condensation.

Here's a diagram of the affected areas with some close ups below View media item 80872
The chimney breast in the living room feels damp to touch, but only in a small area on the corner (area B & C in the diagram). It was wallpapered with lining paper about 2 years ago and it feels like the paste never dried. Consequently the paper has peeled off. There was no mould, just dampness and the paint on top of the lining paper bubbled and developed white crystals (hygroscopic salts?). View media item 80866 View media item 80867 View media item 80868
The salty crystal stuff is now developing in patches like this in the alcove
View media item 80869 View media item 80876
The salty crystal stuff is confined to the alcove just above the skirting on areas . But the wallpaper is still firmly attached and the wall doesn't feel damp like it does on the chimney. The alcove is formed by an internal wall and the salty stuff is developing there on the living room side of the wall (Area D) . On the dining room side (Area E) a damp stain has appeared. No salty crystal stuff is in this patch. To my untrained eye, the dining room patch looks like condensation. View media item 80870 View media item 80871
The neighbours say they don't have damp on their walls.

Would condensation cause the development of the salty crystal stuff and cause the paint to bubble?

The rooms affected have timber floors and there is a cellar underneath both rooms. The cellar is 7 feet deep so I wouldnt expect damp to be able to rise from the cellar into the first floor, especially since the walls affected are internal walls. There are no water pipes or other sources for water to be leaking from. The walls are all internal so no guttering/pointing to be repaired.

All i can think is that water is in the chimney, or that the hygroscopic salts are attracting condensation. The chimney has one of those rain cap things over it so air can get in but not rain, and the fire place is open so air should be circluating (albeit not as well as in the good old days when the fireplace would be used daily). Could the problem be solved by knocking the plaster off the affected walls and replastering, and dealing with any internal condensation (the relative humidity is usually around 50-60%).

When i run a dehumidifier the wall feels dry to touch, but when i turn the dehumidifier off the wall soon gets wet again.

If water was getting in the chimney would i be seeing similar patterns in the room above the living room. Currently that room is fine with no signs of damp what so ever.

Any help in trying to identify the cause of the dampness would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
If you are going to take the plaster off the walls you might want to try a damp proofer called dry zone very diy able.

The cause is probably, as you surmised, the damp salts coming thro the sooty flue(s), and spreading beyond the chimney breast. Its nothing to do with "rising damp".

Carefully remove the skirtings and examine the skirting backs - if they are sound then they can be fixed back later.

Knock off plaster in the affected areas to approx 300mm beyond the surface signs.

Render up in sand and cement and lime in a 6:1:1 mix. Skim with board finish. Dont use gypsum plasters.

Sweep the flues, including the cellar flue and any bed room flues. Do all house flues while the sweep's on site.

Go into the loft and examine the chimney breast brickwork for water stains.

The chimney stacks, flashings, flaunchings and terminals should be inspected from on the roof.

Thanks catlad and ree.

So is it likely to be just salts from the chimney attracting condensation? That was my first suspicion but I didn't know if it would be able to travel around the alcove and to the other side of the internal wall.

Ree you said check the loft for water stains. If we find water stains what does that indicate? Water ingress from the chimney that needs identifying and repairing or something else?

Sponsored Links
@ree - Sorry I'm confused 'bout plasters - isn't (Thistle) Board Finish a gypsum plaster?
So why Board and not Multi Finish?
tks J

Hi sorry for delay in replying. Here are photos of the loft... Not very good images though.
View media item 81874 View media item 81875
What's causing the salts to come through the plaster in the chimney in the living room? Is it likely to come back once we knock the affected plaster off an repair?

Thanks

Whats the purpose of showing party wall brickwork (that is a fire and safety risk) but doesn't show the loft chimney breast brickwork? Presumably, this party wall is at the other side of the house from the chimney breast shown in the earlier pics?

The photos are of the same side as the chimneys and I think the party wall has been constructed between the chimneys that are at the far left and far right- or at least I think they are the chimneys!

It's as far into the loft as I could get so that's why the images are poor.

Still confused.

Your floorplan shows the two chimney breasts located where they should be visible on the loft pics.

Do you actually have chimney stacks near the eaves on either side of your roof? Can you pic them?

Do you actually have a central chimney stack thats shared with the neighbour's? Can you pic and post it?

Have you had the flues swept - thats all the flues in basement and upper floors?

Are all the flues ventilated at the fire openings or thro the c/breasts?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back