Any ideas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been working in a downstairs room and took this pic.
Does it look like anything is odd here? I put a hydrometer on the floor above the line and it reads 80%. It's an outside wall but I don't think there is any pipes underneath, could this be wet? Or is it just marks on the concrete?
I've recently been plastering in the room I removed some boxing that was rotten, and noticed there seems to be a channel which caught my attention.

Sponsored Links
Bump.
If I'm concerned this is wet, what initial investigative steps would you take?
Have I got any options to waterproof the floor?
TIA.

Can't tell if its wet from your picture, (in fact took me a minute to realise your pic was side on), but first question is, has there been something standing on that spot? i.e. cupboard or piece of lino etc. That would stop air circulation and possibly cause condensation to form there.

Can it be scrapped off with a good scraper/wire brush? As for 'treating' the floor I suppose you could coat it in bitumen and then lay some sort of timber flooring over this.

As I am not a builder I'm just giving you my thoughts on this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back