Any issues with outward opening doors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to beef up security and replace a rear door. Security is important and I've seen pre hung door sets that have an option to open outwards. This seems to me to be more secure as the locks cannot be forced easily in that direction. Commercial security /fire doors open the same way. A wooded door of this type costs approximately £700.

Are there any issues with a domestic door opening outwards? Other than just being weird :eek: ?

Sponsored Links
commercial /fire doors have to open in the direction you would flee from a fire
outward opening places the weight on the frame when attacking the door but gives access to the bolts off the locks
make the door visible from the street and noisy underfoot when approaching
you need to match the security for the whole house so no weak or well hidden point

Open out is fine you just need to be careful with them on windy days.
You may want to go for some upgraded hinges or dog bolts for extra security, Maybe even laminated glass.

Make sure that the door is fitted with hinge bolts for security. It is possible to gain access by chiselling or grinding off the hinge knuckles then pulling the door outwards if they are not fitted. Some designs incorporate them into the hinges themselves.

Sponsored Links
I found it very difficult to fit hinge bolts and get the receiving hole and plate correctly positioned. There must be a trick to it.

BTW an ordinary house doorframe is designed to open in, and sheds rainwater like that. If not sheltered, you may get rain penetration. Paint the top and bottom of the door with great care (they are out of sight so usually neglected)

Good idea about the painting JohnD. The door thingie comes as a factory manufactured doorset, so the frame is designed for outward opening from the start...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back