any one help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi I have an old system with gravity feed hot water to tank in loft and the heating is powered by a pump next to boiler, problem is the hot water tank is taking most of the flow and hot water from the rads so I have been told which is why we are having trouble with the heating and balncing of the rads, main pipe from boiler is 28mm to hot water tank and the rads branch of in 15mm, question is can I fit anything to restrict some of the flow to the hot water cylinder thus alowing more flow and hot water to the rads, any help would be most apreciated.

Sponsored Links
Yes you can. A gate valve would be a good solution.

I am assuming you don't mean gravity primaries......

The simple answer is yes: you fit a motorized valve in the return from the HW cylinder to the boiler and control it with a thermostat on the side of the cylinder. This arrangement is known as a C Plan and you can see details here

http://content.honeywell.com/uk/homes/systems.htm#CPlan

The alternative would be to convert the system to fully pumped.

many thanks for your reply simond sounds simple enough so in respect that gate valve turned down slightly would restrict the flow to the hot water tank forcing more of the hot water to the rads, again many thanks

Sponsored Links
thank you for your advice to mr Hailsham not knowing to much about plumbing converting to a fully pumped system sounds beyound my basic knowlage is there a place i can find out the procedure the other sujestion you made again sounds practical and will also look further into it many thanks for your help it was most apreciated any other help will be thanked the same

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back