any particular variety of roses?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

keen to get a rose (non red/pink/white colour!) for front driveway corner.

any ideas on any particular brand / variety to go for? looked on david austin roses but plants were £26.50! which may be normal for good quality plant but seemed very expensive to me!

ta

Sponsored Links
Didn't you ask this before? What kind of space, size, aspect do you have? How do you want it grow - bush form, climbing up something, large/small?

Didn't you ask this before? What kind of space, size, aspect do you have? How do you want it grow - bush form, climbing up something, large/small?

No, i didnt ask this previously.

I dont know the size but its a corner abot 2 m by 1 m. north facing wall in front driveway. no climbers. no particular preference for large / small but would prefer re-flowering ones!

Thought my memory was playing tricks - here's your previous thread.

It's too late now for bare root plants but if you can wait until the Autumn, get them from Poundland / 99p Stores / Lidl / Aldi / Wilkinsons / B&M / Home Bargains etc. - their bare root plants are good quality, they tend to be the most common reliable varieties and if they turn their toes up. you haven't lost a fortune.

If you have to have it now, then you'll have to go for a container grown plant which is more expensive. Go to your local garden centre, B&Q, Homebase etc and look at the floribundas, hybrid teas, shrub roses and find one that you like.

I'll say again, roses aren't the easiest for a novice gardener and if you don't look after them properly, they can stop blooming, look very sorry for themselves and worst case, die. They need deadheading, pruning and feeding. They can sucker, get aphid infestations and fungal diseases.

There are far easier plants that will give colour for the same length of time as a rose but if your heart is set on a rose.........

Sponsored Links
There are far easier plants that will give colour for the same length of time as a rose but if your heart is set on a rose.........

Thanks for ur input. Any pointers for these "other plants"? ta

There were suggestions the last time you posted the question. And you can use the RHS Plant Selector. Use the dropdowns to make your choices. If you don't know what to put in for any particular criterion, just skip over it.

We like shrubs, easy to grow and most don't even have to flower to look well. Clip once or twice a year and your good to go

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back