Any problems with tiling onto MDF?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm going to have to build a 'box' in my bathroom about 10.5cm deep x 140cm wide x 70-80(ish)cm high to allow me to fit a new close-coupled loo without having a chuffin' great gap behind it (the soil pipe can't be moved back - see my initial thread [url]//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=737750#737750[/url] for more info)

The box will be tiled with mosaic sheets (hence the 10.5cm depth - this is 4 misaics deep).

My initial plan was to make the box from a timber frame and MDF, but I've been scanning the forum to see if I'll need to treat the MDF first and have found no mention of the stuff ...is tiling on MDF a bad idea, and if so, what's the best material for me to make my little structure from?
I've used MDF for DIY preojects before and find it really easy to work with, but I've never used plasterboard so I'm a bit wary of that, especially as I've no idea if it's strong enough to use if cut to such a narrow (10cm) strip.

As it's gonna be a relatively small area, cost is not an issue ...especially as a local DIY store is closing down and had some good bargains for materials, and I'd rather spend the extra and get it right fist time.

One last thought. Whether I go for MFD or a different material, is it a case of "the thicker the better"? ... I was considering either 12mm or 18mm MDF.

The box will be fixed to a plasterboard wall.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Sponsored Links
Forget MDF - there's nothing to stop you making a decent frame and skinning it with plasterboard. I did this one a while back because the waste couldn't be moved - it was a timber frame with an extra piece of timber horizontally with which to fix the cistern to. Worked out fine.

DSC00100-1.jpg

Don't blame me for the tiles (except the floor) - it was a rip out toilet and basin and replace but just patching in tiles where necessary. Gotta love the customer though - she gave me £50 of B&Q vouchers as a present! :eek:

Forget MDF - there's nothing to stop you making a decent frame and skinning it with plasterboard.
Totally agree; & although not essential, I always skim the PB before tiling.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice - PlasterBoard it is then!

Nice photo too ...reckon I may be a bit ambitious with my plan but at least I'll be using the right stuff!

Mike

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back