Any Reason Why These Are "Illegal"?

Sponsored Links
Who decided they were illegal? We have had issues where if they are left portable and two are plugged into a multiway lead it can lead to overheating but where they are correctly installed I don't see an issue.

I can understand they are not suitable for use in certain conditions i.e. in wet rooms etc but that doesn't make them illegal - if they were illegal to use then surely you wouldn't still be able to buy them??

Someone high up on the Exec Committee said they were, but I do not understand why.

They are hard wired and wall mounted and in a room that does not contain a bath or shower or designed for drying clothes or equipment.

I know they are open heaters and could be a danger if covered, but aside from that, there are no other issues are there?

Someone high up on the Exec Committee said they were, but I do not understand why.

They are hard wired and wall mounted and in a room that does not contain a bath or shower or designed for drying clothes or equipment.

I know they are open heaters and could be a danger if covered, but aside from that, there are no other issues are there?

Ask idot on exec why he thinks they are illegal. You could also do a risk Assessment on them to show why they are safe.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/risk/casestudies/index.htm

Sponsored Links
Can't see why illegal. However with Laing we banned them. The reason was too easy for paper to end up on top of them and causing a fire. As to if Laing 'O' Rouke still bans them is something else.

The illegal and banned by organisations does get mixed up and I would think this is the case here.

As to on sale if banned well yes that can happen and legal. As a radio ham I know there are many items which in this country can only be used by licensed radio hams but can be sold to anyone. In Hong Kong I had to show them my licence but that does not apply here.

So to sell equipment may not be illegal but to use it may very well be illegal. There are some laws like the fitting of 13A plugs which are linked to the sale but being legal to use it not one of them.

We had them in our scout hut for years, and only replaced them because they weren't very good!

The only issues I can think of is the risk of fire if something is left on or falls on the heater when it's on and unsupervised, and the risk of a child burning them selves on the top of the casing. Both of which are relatively low risk, and something as simple as fitting a cage would remove both risks.

I certainly haven't heard of them being branded illegal before now. I have seen and installed plenty in temporary classrooms over the years, and never heard of any issues other than the usual abuse everything installed in a school receives.

Just use your experience Simon and ask the 'high-flyer' which law or regulation they think that the heaters are in breach of and whether they can justify it in a risk assessment !

I can't believe that they are illegal. My local Morrisons store had a stack of about 20 of these for sale when I visited yesterday afternoon. They look pretty dangerous though - far too easy to stick clothes on the top and cause a fireball.

The simply answer to such "Jobs Worths" is to ask the question "What specific clause of which Statutory Regulation am I failing to comply with" That usually shuts up 99+% of them.

When they come back with "Health & Safety" simply repeat the question

Is it something to do with Part L, stating they cannot be the ONLY method of heating a room or something?

From the creda website regarding there heaters

Meeting the NHS Estates Health Guidance Notes on ‘Safe Hot Water and Surface Temperatures', the LST heaters have been developed not to exceed 43ºC, the maximum surface temperature recommended in the guidelines.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back