Any reason to move a new boiler?

Just tested it, and nothing form the pump.
Sounds like a gravity hot water system then. I think we better wait for someone more knowledgeable than me to check this is right, though. If it was pumped, there would also, I think, have to be some sort of motorised valve to divert the water from the heating to the cylinder. I remember in the early 1990s, when we got our new house with fully pumped, it was so much easier.

Sponsored Links
Relocation may be down to flue clearances or accessibility to hot and cold supplies.
OK, but if so they should have said so.
Far less gas used for hot water in a normal household and acceptable performance.
Not necessarily. Combi makers will quote a figure based on all the daily use in one hit. In a more typical situation of many small draw-offs maybe use more gas

Sponsored Links
There’s a lot of misinformed views here!
Relocation may be down to flue clearances or accessibility to hot and cold supplies.
I’m sure someone would be able to give you their reasons for relocating.
Pay no attention to those knocking combi boilers. Far less gas used for hot water in a normal household and acceptable performance.
Send those pics.
Thanks. They did mention hot & cold pipes, but they are quoting without seeing it.

If you end up with a combi in the loft suggest they put a filling loop and pressure gauge in the airing cupboard so you can keep an eye on it and can top the pressure up without having to climb into the loft.

Thanks. They did mention hot & cold pipes, but they are quoting without seeing it.

I don't understand how they can do that. We do need much more information about your present set up, and some photos of the boiler and flue outside.

Combi's are a one box solution, where most of what can go wrong will be in that box, which will need a Gas Engineer to fix it. All hot water demand usually needs the boiler to fire up and you to wait whilst it becomes warm, wasting gas needlessly in the meantime. The boiler also has to be over sized to meet heating the water, rather than sized to heat your home, another potential for wastage of gas.

Filling a bath from a combi, is much slower than when compared to an open vented system which you would seem to have.

An open vented system is much more expensive to initially install, than a combi, which is why so many favour them.

As suggested above, if what you have is an heat only boiler, you will almost certainly need a larger capacity gas supply pipe installed from the meter, to the boiler. Often that pipe will have to be routed via an outside route, which can look awful.

Yes, but so is everyone else. To be fair there seem to be some benefits
- More space in loft
- More space in airing cupboard
- More water pressure for shower
I have my heat only boiler in the loft. Hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard in the hall downstairs, pretty central to kitchen sink, ground floor WC and first floor bathroom. Hot water gets to all three in about ten seconds.

My mate has a combi boiler in his loft and it’s a good minutes wait until hot water reaches his kitchen sink. Of course he's wasting water waiting for hot to arrive and when he turns the tap off, there's a couple of sink fulls of hot water in the pipe that is wasted when it cools down. They either usually wash up in cold water or use the kettle. Pain in the arse with a combi in the loft when you need just a sink full of hot water in reasonable time downstairs.

Last edited:
I have my heat only boiler in the loft. Hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard in the hall downstairs, pretty central to kitchen sink, ground floor WC and first floor bathroom. Hot water gets to all three in about ten seconds.

My mate has a combi boiler in his loft and it’s a good minutes wait until hot water reaches his kitchen sink. Of course he's wasting water waiting for hot to arrive and when he turns the tap off, there's a couple of sink fulls of hot water in the pipe that is wasted when it cools down. They either usually wash up in cold water or use the kettle. Pain in the arse with a combi in the loft when you need just a sink full of hot water in reasonable time downstairs.
A mate of mine has the same. I urged him against it but he wouldn't listen and now regrets it. He's thinking of going for a heat pump, has no mains gas.

There’s a lot of misinformed views here!
I’m sure someone would be able to give you their reasons for relocating.
Pay no attention to those knocking combi boilers. Far less gas used for hot water in a normal household and acceptable performance.
Send those pics.
Well said Jeff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back