Soundproofing Boiler Cupboard?

Sponsored Links
Sounded a bit noisy, not terrible, I couldn't hear it the other side of door, one of those very cheap hollow doors, but I'm thinking add another 25% of noise and it might go through a wall.

I friend of mine had his boiler in a cupboard, he has a more modern bungalow with plasterboard walls, his boiler cupboard back onto the bathroom, so not much to worry about noise wise, his bedroom is across the hall and he says that he hears the boiler in the morning and I think his cupboard doors are solid. His boiler is 10 years old, wasn't particularly noisy compared with mine. So if I put a new boiler where the existing one is it would be quieter, but in 5 - 10 years time, probably not, most boilers come with 5 year or more warenty but could you get it repaired because it's noisy, or is that general wear and tear?

boilers being connected to rigid pipework that extends through most properties are a slightly different thing.

check the boilers instructions, most can be screwed to timber now but maybe a layer or two of sound proof plasterboard would help the sound issue. if you can fix studs floor and ceiling then that may help.

Sponsored Links
I think I would focus on the boiler not falling off the wall, above and beyond the noise issue - you are gonna hear it because you are already priming yourself to listen out for it... Practice some distraction techniques, study some sleep guides and maybe hang a heavy textile artwork on the wall behind the cupboard in the bedroom! :sneaky:

Don't forget the ventilation and cooling requirements of a boiler in a cupboard...see the manufacturer's installation instructions and building regs too.

Thanks all, very very good information, I'll see how things go with a few more quotes

Thanks for that.
I wasn't thinking about using floor to ceiling battens and only securing at floor and ceiling, my concern would be that the weight of the boiler might pull on the battens too much without them being fastened to the wall.
Maybe I need to get more quote for putting it in the loft.

I just fitted a new extractor fan to the bathroom, 40Db, I was suprised how loud 40Db was, so 50 Db will be 1/4 again as load

I'm going back nearly fifty years to when I was in college but if I remember right the db scale is logarithmic so 50db is twice as loud as 40db.
Incidentally I'm following this thread with interest as I'm having a boiler fitted in my bedroom in an airing cupboard as it's the only place we can realistically put it. So I'm probably going to have to do something to soundproof it.

Last edited:
50dB is ten times as loud as 40dB, because it's a logarithmic scale.
But it's more complicated than that because the sensitivity of your hearing is not linear.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back