Noise from airing cupboard

DiB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
British Gas are/have installed 4 small(!) radiators in bedrooms. Boiler capacity OK to accept these additions, but since installing, even though rads thru house are NOT on at the moment - so only water being heated - the pump is now very noisy when working - airing cupboard is in bedroom and now wakes me up(!). British Gas have turned down the pump to 2 - it needs to operate higher when heating on to serve rads (so they have advised) - but any suggestions on how to sound-proof this cupboard? Its got a hollow-core door and side of stud partition with plywood. Read previous posts which suggest putting something underneath pump but water pump is suspended on pipework about 2ft off floor - sorry but I understand very little about plumbing!!

Sponsored Links
Pumps should not be that noisy even on full speed, is the pump and bracketry fixed to a plasterboard wall by chance?

plasterboard walls amplify any noise many fold, perhaps some insertion rubber under the brackets would help, personally i would ask BG to come back and rectify un-acceptible noise! ;)

Can you describe the noise? Screeching, rumble, airbubbles rushing through pipe, that sort of stuff.
How much difference between settings 1,2,3?
Ultimately, the situation was fine before bg worked on the system (presumably) and now it is making an unbearable noise. You paid a lot of money, so they should come back and correct the fault they created.

Sponsored Links
A pic would be good, even if it's just to see the mess they made of it.

You'll probably find debris has got into the pump impellor causing it to vibrate. Ask (tell) them to clean or change the pump. You've probably paid enough :cry:

Sounds more like they run out of their quota of brackets, or don't know what they're for.

bengasman";p="1329893 said:
Can you describe the noise? Screeching, rumble, airbubbles rushing through pipe, that sort of stuff.
How much difference between settings 1,2,3?

The noise comprises air bubbles rushing through pipes (presumably for when they drained the system), and water rushing but mostly its the noise of pump (ie: a bit like when you ask a photo-copier to start up and take a copy when its been idle for a while!). Its always previously worked on 2 which was not loud enough to disturb me at night but was audible through the cupboard, but they advise it needs to be on 3 in order for the new rads to work correctly (when the heating is ON) but that noise is positively unbearable. When it was set on 3 at night I resorted to turning off the timer at the power button, so no hot water in the morning! BG are due back again later this week, with another drain down anticipated(?), to sort it out :confused:

Pumps should not be that noisy even on full speed, is the pump and bracketry fixed to a plasterboard wall by chance?

plasterboard walls amplify any noise many fold, perhaps some insertion rubber under the brackets would help, personally i would ask BG to come back and rectify un-acceptible noise! ;)

The wall behind, where the pipes and pump is a brick wall not plasterboard! BG due back again (they've been back twice) to resolve - yet again.

...The noise comprises air bubbles rushing through pipes (presumably for when they drained the system), and water rushing but mostly its the noise of pump (ie: a bit like when you ask a photo-copier to start up and take a copy when its been idle for a while!).

Its always previously worked on 2 which was not loud enough to disturb me at night but was audible through the cupboard, but they advise it needs to be on 3 in order for the new rads to work correctly ...

The first remark leads me to believe it is nothing more complicated than air in the pipes, that the pump can not clear.
Pumps that are noisy, tend to wear out on the double, so by now your pump may well be knackered too due to their incompetence.

The second remark sounds like they noticed a lack of flow, and rather than spend some more time to bleed it out, they "advised" to up the pump speed to compensate for the lack of performance caused by the air.

Don't let them fob you off with claims for extra money to repair this; it was good, it worked fine, they botched it, and should count themselves lucky you don't claim compensation.

I`m going to resurrect an old saying..." BG fitters, couldn`t fit a French Letter" :LOL: was first said by an old boy I was apprenticed with in 1970`s ..good to see nothing changes :rolleyes:

The first remark leads me to believe it is nothing more complicated than air in the pipes, that the pump can not clear.
Pumps that are noisy, tend to wear out on the double, so by now your pump may well be knackered too due to their incompetence.

The second remark sounds like they noticed a lack of flow, and rather than spend some more time to bleed it out, they "advised" to up the pump speed to compensate for the lack of performance caused by the air.

BG are due back on Friday to replace a length of pipe from header tank down to hot water cylinder(!?) Coincidentally to BG commencing works, the day before BG turned up the shower worked, and now thats doesn't work either - coincidence OR WHAT!!!! So far not paid a penny, am seeking compensation as well because they didn't solder something and had a leak which has caused water damage as well - guess I'll wait and see what comes of the visit on Friday if they can rectify this noise issue. Thanks for the advice. Noise does appear to have quietened down - now lasts for about 10 minutes (but still wakes me!) Still lots of water rushing noise and bubbles - not good at 6.00 am! Still going to try and sound-proof walls of cupboard though.

BG are due back on Friday to replace a length of pipe from header tank down to hot water cylinder(!?)

:?: :confused: Guess they didn't tell you what that is supposed to solve?

vCoincidentally to BG commencing works, the day before BG turned up the shower worked, and now thats doesn't work either - coincidence OR WHAT!!!! ...

I believe in coincidences, but not to that degree. :rolleyes:

Letter to MD comes to mind.

I believe in coincidences, but not to that degree. :rolleyes:

Letter to MD comes to mind.

Well they turned up, and stayed almost 4 hours to resolve this, and they have done so - different BG engineer(!) - resolved the noise issue by inserting the new pipe in loft, bled all rads, then had hot water and rads and shower on all at the same time and eventually got all working with very little noise. I guess telling them we wouldn't pay up played a part :LOL: Explanation given was our water pressure was too high(?) causing the noise - but I don't care - I'm sleeping peacefully now. We've had a bit of noise in the pipes when cold tap on but this we can live with :eek: Thanks for your comments.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back