Boiler query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a wee question about boilers. At the moment we have an older timer boiler in the bedroom. It heats the water in an insulated tank in the hall cupboard. This tank is fed by a huge water tank above it. The mains runs into this. The problem is when the boiler comes on it wakes us up in the bed room. We are also losing out on loads of space in the hall cupboard due to the two tanks.

My idea is to remove both tanks and take out the old boiler and place a new combi boiler in the hall cupboard, fed by the mains. The previous owner says that he did not have a combi boiler fitted 3 years ago because he was told by the plumber that the water pressure is too poor for a combi. We do have poor pressure but I have never heard of this. I think some wide boy plumber did this with the view of being called in later to fit a new boiler and thus get more work.

If you have any ideas let me know.

Sponsored Links
Should be ok for a combi even if it needs to be boosted. Ask your neighbours see if they have the same poor pressure, then you can ask Scottish water to come out and check what the pressure is out on the mains once they report back you could make a better judgement or ask a local plumber to check what pressure you have in the house at the kitchen tap (mains) nothings impossible!

Ray

Don't worry too much about the pressure, you need to find out the flow rate. If the flow rate is too low, then a combi won't be suitable. To find out, run your kitchen cold tap fully open, and with all stop taps fully open, into a bucket for a minute. Measure the contents, to give you litres per min. flow rate. You can then check if a combi is suitable.

The main advantage with your present system is that it can feed several hot taps at once. With combis, if you are using a hot tap, then someone turns on another, the flow can reduce a lot. Combis aren't so reliable either.

Sponsored Links
Bit of wast of money to chuck a 3 year old boiler.
If you are going to do that, the only way to find out what the best way forward is, is to find a good RGI and let him do what he thinks is necessary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back